Current lead time: In Stock. Last updated December 2018.
Details and information on how to purchase this item is available here.
Red Rooster - Amplitude Booster. Want to push your valve amplifier into natural overdrive? Create valve overload at low volume settings? Need a treble booster, a bass booster, and a multi purpose full frequency old school flavoured solo booster? Biggty Bam! Check out the D*A*M Red Rooster RR-10. Does all of the above and some. Works wonders in zinging up muddy sounding fuzz boxes and will make weak or low output guitar pick-ups warmer, more dynamic and fuller bodied.
The reason for being. Two words. One name. Tony Iommi. That's kinda why this pedal exists. I like Black Sabbath...a lot. I heard years ago Tony used to use this crusty old effect from the early 1960's called the Dallas Rangemaster. The Rangemaster was a treble booster that came in a funky little folded steel desk top style enclosure. It had no footswitch or any means to control the frequency, just had a single control pot for the amount volume boost. Original Rangemasters are very scarce at the best of times, cost an absolute bloody fortune and are, to be honest, usually in need of some improvement for use in a modern day scenario.
One of the rumours about Tony's original Rangemaster was that it was modified. Modified to do what I did and do not know. Kinda made sense to me that more gain and a tunable filter or frequency control would be smart way of stepping into the sonic realms of the dark master. I made my simple improvements (circa 2003) on the original circuit and built them into a sexy little red box. Enter the Red Rooster and its plan:
1. True bypass switching. The Rooster is totally removed from the guitars signal when in bypass mode, it will not bleed through and dull your guitars original tone.
2. Features a 'Range' control so treble, full range and bass boost can be acquired. It also means it is well suited to either single coil or humbucking pick-ups of varying output and gain levels.
3. Uses a specially selected and tested premium quality military grade germanium transistor that is precisely biased to produce a bold clear and dynamic tone with generous amounts of sustain.
4. High gain low noise circuitry using high grade polystyrene film capacitors, long life electrolytic capacitors and 1% tolerance metal film resistors.
5. A heavy duty small footprint cast aluminium enclosure finished in a Tri-mate Hammertone paint.
6. Negative ground circuitry featuring a 2.1mm DC socket.
Finish: Tri-mite Hammertone
Power Supply: PP3 battery, 2.1mm DC input
Controls: Range, Boost
Current transistor selection: CV7112 (Military grade OC140)
Inception date: April 2003
Units produced to date: 522