Who's brave enough to clone my #1??

Schematics, layouts & other technical mumbo jumbo.

Moderator: The Captain

chatmatt

Who's brave enough to clone my #1??

Post by chatmatt »

So.. I'm totally fearful, but maybe ready to take the plunge with the right builder here. I have a home-brew fuzz face that is hands down 100000000% better than any other fuzz pedal I've ever owned (which is probably in the hundreds by now). It was a $40 ebay why-not that turned out to be a gem. I have used it on countless recordings and lent it to tons of friends.. so I'm terrified of someone taking it apart to clone it and accidentally fucking it up when they do. Like.. gone forever fucking it up.

It looks mega basic inside, but for whatever reason the values are just perfect or wired right or something. I'd love for someone to A) figure out why it's awesome, B) make me another one, C) most likely make me a few more. PM me for gutshots and whatnot if you're interested in taking it on. If you think you're up for it, I'll mail it off to you and cross my fingers! (oh, and of course I'd pay you for your time/parts/labor/expertise/etc. !) Really looking for one of the more experienced guys here who I know has good ears and a careful iron..
Officer Bukowski

Re: Who's brave enough to clone my #1??

Post by Officer Bukowski »

It is an awesome sounding fuzz :)

I think the #1 guy you should seek out is Jerms

Just for kicks, can you post some hi res pics of the board/components? It seems like a fuzz face, but a super awesome fuzz face. Definitely interested in the values for my own usage
chatmatt

Post by chatmatt »

Hey Travis. I thought you'd remember it!
I did a big shootout again tonight with a zillion other things, and it won.. again.. as usual. Brad/Creepyfingers reached out. Hopefully we can work it out since he's local.
Any info I get on it will be gladly shared with anyone who wants them. It's probably a super simple boring thing in the end, but whatever. It works.

Here's some pics:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-uyS7 ... 24_844.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-v46o ... 56_698.jpg
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

Good luck with this project, Matt. I'm sure Brad will do an awesome job. Be real interesting to see what he finds.
Officer Bukowski

Post by Officer Bukowski »

Wow this is actually much easier than I thought. 2N3906 is bog standard PNP silicon. Both are socketed. I could reverse engineer that pup in like less than 10 minutes with transistor hfes and everything

It looks like a Joe Gagan Easy Face. Had I seen the guts before I'd tell you to just let me see it for like an hour haha

Anyways, Brad is local? Let's fuzz out!
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

I can do it, if you dont have another taker first.
chatmatt

Post by chatmatt »

Dropping it off around the corner with Bukowski this morning. I'll let you all know how it goes..
jtn191

Post by jtn191 »

hm I should try the Easy Face, sounds nice :tu:
joegagan

Post by joegagan »

did someone say easyface? oldy but moldy pics

"Scuze me while I rip the sky....."--DucRyder
chatmatt

Post by chatmatt »

I think Travis boiled it down to just being a really good Easy Face in the end. We're now working on a few tweeks to get it to my specific likings - but you've laid out a heck of a circuit there, Joe! The one Travis is building for me has a second stomp for 'pregain', which is really just like rolling back your guitar volume to a specific spot. Or something like that. Will definitely be posting here once it's up and running.