MKI Screeching noise?

Schematics, layouts & other technical mumbo jumbo.

Moderator: The Captain

mam8dg

Re: MKI Screeching noise?

Post by mam8dg »

To echo what others have said, that is pretty normal for the decay of a MK1.
migsmoon.bandcamp.com
Nostalgia

Post by Nostalgia »

With 8nf cap from input to ground. Changed the tone a bit. Will try lower cap maybe 3nf-5nf.

Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior »

Maybe try a slightly bigger resistor between Q2B and -9V. What did you use there?
Everything is transitional.
Nostalgia

Post by Nostalgia »

Electric Warrior wrote:Maybe try a slightly bigger resistor between Q2B and -9V. What did you use there?
I used 2k2 and 280k on Q2 base and 2k2 on Q2C. Maybe my gain transistors are low side? Q1 60hfe, Q2 95hfe and Q3 80hfe.
Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior »

Gains should be fine. I fixed my screeching noise problem (far worse than yours) by using a bigger resistor. Try a 330k instead of the 280k. That might be enough.
They used quite a range of different resistor values in that spot in vintage units...
Everything is transitional.
Nostalgia

Post by Nostalgia »

Electric Warrior wrote:Gains should be fine. I fixed my screeching noise problem (far worse than yours) by using a bigger resistor. Try a 330k instead of the 280k. That might be enough.
They used quite a range of different resistor values in that spot in vintage units...
Well that's true. Mine does not screech at all when I reaches above -6v on Q2C or -9.2v on Q3C. But I don't like the tone and feel when it goes above -4.5v. I try to bias mine around -1.5 to 3.3v at Q2C.
anemochore
Location: Outside of Suquamish at the bottem end of Hawkeye's trail next door to Nooshkum

Post by anemochore »

Nostalgia wrote:With 8nf cap from input to ground. Changed the tone a bit. Will try lower cap maybe 3nf-5nf.
This sounds great :tu:
Don't make me assume my ultimate form