Colorsound Fuzz Box Transistors

Schematics, layouts & other technical mumbo jumbo.

Moderator: The Captain

fenderbender4

Colorsound Fuzz Box Transistors

Post by fenderbender4 »

I was wondering if anyone familiar with the history of the Colorsound Fuzz Box could help out. I know that they originally came with BC108C and a BC109C. Were there any that used the NKT 2N929 transistor? Any thoughts on differences in terms of sound?

Thank you in advance.
blunder

Re: Colorsound Fuzz Box Transistors

Post by blunder »

I have two Fuzzboxes. One has the BC108/109 combo. The other has the 2N929's. I've never seen another one that used those. I suspect that the 2n929's are replacements. One of the transistor legs has some extra solder on it that makes it look like it was worked on.

They both sound good. The 2n929 version sounds a little gnarlier and is a little bit more gated than the BC one. I should do another comparison as it's been awhile.
fenderbender4

Re: Colorsound Fuzz Box Transistors

Post by fenderbender4 »

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I remember reading an article and the Zvex guy said the Fuzz Box was the best fuzz he's ever played but that it was fine-tuned and another one he played wasn't nearly as good. Was wondering if it might have to do with some component changes but it seems they were all built with the BC108/109C.