Topic on tubes

Schematics, layouts & other technical mumbo jumbo.

Moderator: The Captain

Doc Holliday

Re: Topic on tubes

Post by Doc Holliday »

For me those Holland ( Philips or Amprex ) are up there with the best
Radiotron

Post by Radiotron »

Don’t forget about Pope, great tubes! I especially like the ones with inclined getters.
waveclipper

Post by waveclipper »

Doc Holliday wrote: I had heard the brimar is like an El34 in a 6v6 bottle.
Yes - I would agree with that! I wouldn't describe it as a dark tube at all (ie lacking in treble content?) but I would say where the American 6v6 generally speaking have a smooth & sweet top end the Brimars are a bit wild, not ragged per se but seems like there's extra harmonics smeared all over the treble and high mid frequencies. A good RCA will flatter the circuit whereas the Brimars seem to impart a bit more of their own grunty character on it perhaps.

Those Silvertone 6v6 of yours Horsey look very like my clear glass RCA (with orange print too). I really like them, totally fab for clean to moderate overdriving.
Really need to see the acid etched codes to be sure of the origin of those 12ax7 though. They look like Philips for sure (invariably good stuff) but the 'made in xxx' label is not that reliable ime. The Heerlen production are great all rounders - all the short plates I have are strong, very reliable, clean and clear. I have a '58 Dutch 'MC6' long plate which is one of the finest valves I've ever heard, but all of the Philips long plates are fucking incredible to my ears even though they have more variation in sound even from the same year and production code.

I think that Pope were a re-brander? Mostly quality Dutch stuff afaik but I think I've seen EI and possibly RFT manufactured tubes with the Pope label? Still better than current production though. I've been running an EI long smooth plate as the phase inverter in a Tiny Terror for a couple of years and it sounds top dollar. A Pope with an inclined getter I would guess might be a Valvo Hamburg production - a 'D' prefix acid etched code either between the pins on the base or acid etched on the side of the glass? Absolutely superb tubes that tend to fetch high prices, deservedly so...
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Yeah those silvertone (RCA 6v6GTA) tubes seem to be a little more scooped than the smoked glass RCA GT's to my ears. Heard they sound great in blackface fenders. I'm guessing that was what came in them.
My GA-6 is with my amp guy. He's done the work I asked and serviced it but there seems to be a rub on the P12R after all. I might remove it and stick in a Celestion blue with some brimars at some stage and go all gain monster on its ass. I have the GA-20T for the originality. Probably refine the P12R further down the road and store it.
Radiotron

Post by Radiotron »

Sorry, I was talking about the ECC83’s, I always though Pope produced their own tubes but they could be made by Philips, definitely no RFT though.
The only ECC83’s with inclined halo getters I have are Pope branded and they sound wonderful.

Btw. I have a pair of Philips branded 6V6GT’s that look like the Russian ones above with the little ‘cup’ getters, never seen those before, sound OK.
waveclipper

Post by waveclipper »

Doc Holliday wrote:Yeah those silvertone (RCA 6v6GTA) tubes seem to be a little more scooped than the smoked glass RCA GT's to my ears. Heard they sound great in blackface fenders. I'm guessing that was what came in them.
My GA-6 is with my amp guy. He's done the work I asked and serviced it but there seems to be a rub on the P12R after all. I might remove it and stick in a Celestion blue with some brimars at some stage and go all gain monster on its ass. I have the GA-20T for the originality. Probably refine the P12R further down the road and store it.
That's a shame. I've tried re-centring paper voice coils on a couple of old 50s (nil value) elliptical alnicos using the acetone & shim method with limited success but I reckon one may have more luck with circular cones - might be worth a go before reconing? I read that some chaps were fortunate enough to cure a mild rub simply by spaying the spider with acetone and rotating the speaker - you have to go easy so as not to loosen the spider's glue apparently. The only guaranteed fix is a recone but at least it should be doable with such a legendary speaker.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Yeah the old Jensens have a nice organic feel. They were always under efficient though weren't they?! I think the P12R is rated at around 12watts. I would be surprised if it even reached that. I like the look of the Q and as Jim Jerms states the P is meant to sound killer. Still... yes I agree the R is a classic in its own right. I think you just shit your pants every time you raise the volume on your amp though haha. They can demand high prices can't they if looked after.

I would like to try out some Weber speakers but the import duty lately has just peed me off. It cost £500 to get both those amps into the UK. I won't be importing anything for a while... shame.
Zuff-1A

Post by Zuff-1A »

I have matched pair older Ken Rad's 6V6 (NOS) for sale
if anybody have interest.
Great loud sound with excellent detail and lot sparkle!
Sold my 6V6 amp and these stayed (had same pair for fresh backup but never used)

Old Jensen's :crackjam: .
Gordon Speakerman from Seattle reconed my N 15, sounds sweet!
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Ken rads are ace! After some cheap Brimars tbh. Pref in Europe. I'll get the speaker fixed.. might ask Tayden if they do recones as I had their alnico and loved it!
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Got my guts on the GA/6 upgraded