Dunlop wah not working off battery?

Schematics, layouts & other technical mumbo jumbo.

Moderator: The Captain

rootfifthoctave

Dunlop wah not working off battery?

Post by rootfifthoctave »

I've been messing around with a GCB95 wah from the 90s. It's my dad's, he said he wanted it to work off of an adaptor (it didn't) and wanted the sweep and overall sound to be "better". I stuck one of Castledine's ICAR pots in there and, with Stu's advice, swapped out some of the resistor values, did the TB mod and now it sounds pretty sweet, if you ask me. And it works off of an adaptor for the first time since it left the factory (nice one Dunlop).

Problem is, it doesn't want to work off of a battery anymore. I can't see anything wrong and poking around to test continuities isn't telling me anything useful. Any idea what's wrong? It's the same PCB as the one in this picture:
joegagan

Re: Dunlop wah not working off battery?

Post by joegagan »

Some thing isn't adding up.
You don't mention what you did to fix the power jack issue.

The power jack has a switch inside that turns the battery hot off when power plug is inserted. These can wear out amd not make batt connection when no plug is inserted. Do your continuity test at the power jack lugs with the non-powered power plug in and out of the jack.
"Scuze me while I rip the sky....."--DucRyder
rootfifthoctave

Re: Dunlop wah not working off battery?

Post by rootfifthoctave »

joegagan wrote:Some thing isn't adding up.
You don't mention what you did to fix the power jack issue.

The power jack has a switch inside that turns the battery hot off when power plug is inserted. These can wear out amd not make batt connection when no plug is inserted. Do your continuity test at the power jack lugs with the non-powered power plug in and out of the jack.
It wasn't soldered to the board properly at one of the pins. I just flowed a tiny bit more solder onto the joint and it seemed fine. Could I have damaged the switch you mention? Either way, I will do the continuity test and report back. Thank you!