Component drift?

Schematics, layouts & other technical mumbo jumbo.

Moderator: The Captain

innerflight

Re: Component drift

Post by innerflight »

Laundromat wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:21 am I don't think there's any magic to it. The effect of drifted resistors would be the same as using a different part value to begin with, so nothing that couldn't be reproduced. I also don't believe there's really any change going on inside the transistors, unless it's tin whiskers or something that make them crap out completely.
Electrolytics tend to go up in value, until they fail completely. Their contribution to sound with drift would be introducing signal loss and making the sound more muffled.

innerflight wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:54 pm my Seeing Eye MKII sounds like no other MKII ive ever heard and me and Stella_Blues think it might be drifting
Has the sound started to change or why do you suspect it's drifting? If it's just because of how awesome it sounds, I'd credit that to Dave's fingers and ears entirely.
^ the sound hasn’t changed since I’ve had it and you’re right it probably is just the tuning and that’s confirmed with your explanation about what would happen, it’s definitely not sounding muffled or dying. It’s just when I’ve compared it to others from the same era it has a little extra something. :freakout:

Sorry to drift from the original drift :smashed:
’brutish in character but not thug like’
Philip

Post by Philip »

Drifting in the right direction. :badteeth: :hihi:
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

Philip wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:32 am So what I've often described as an elusive fucked upness to various old pedals is down to the parts at hand and who put it together? They would have sounded much the same when first built and sold?

I'd say there's a kind of tghter sound to modern builds in comparison to ye olde itterations.

I know practically nothing about building these things, but have wondered if a factor in that tightness is that perhaps new builds are being over thought and refined. Like it seems Hurt's main focus with MKI builds was getting sustain and it didn't matter much if there's noise and crackle either side of the sustain sweet spot(s).

Edit: Some old pedals I'v had a shot of have just been a bit noisier, but not really any different than similar new builds. Not going to name them though. :smashed:
I always thought vintage had a fucked up sound that wasn’t quite there in newer builds and my old Supa had a sweet spot but not much else going on either side
Philip

Post by Philip »

Yeah, you're one has it, sounds kind of broken, but in an ace way! A lot going on in the sound.

Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

My supa sounds like nothing I’ve played.
It is noisy past 3 o’clock but I think that’s because it has tons of gain. I’ve never played a MK2 like it.
Stus mini MK2 had a lot of gain also but it seemed more mid focused, tighter and refined.
The supa does have that imperfected sound. Little more hairy. Although I can get loads of tones out of it. More than any modern MK2 I’ve played. Mr morphine comes close to how well that fuzz range worked.
innerflight

Re: Component drift?

Post by innerflight »

^^so that broken fucked upness is down to the tuning on the day and not the fact it’s a vintage fuzz with the components somehow ageing?

^ need to try a Mr Morphine, when I had all those MKII’s it was the Castledine that was closest to the vintage Supa, tone wise it was different but Stu’s definitely captured the essence of fucked upness
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Well I have a Vox V846 wah. About 1968 I’m guessing down to the serial. Late.
Those cans measure at 500mH and through out time drifts.
Usually they get thin over time. I had a halo measuring 470mH Thinner than original spec.
My trashcan actually drifted in the opposite way. Around 520mH Which actually according to Stu fattened it up.

So I’m guessing if things drift it can have a effect on tone.
NOS caps in fact can still drift I’ve heard without ever being in a circuit
Laundromat

Post by Laundromat »

Doc Holliday wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:11 pmUsually they get thin over time. I had a halo measuring 470mH Thinner than original spec.
My trashcan actually drifted in the opposite way. Around 520mH Which actually according to Stu fattened it up.
It's more likely that the mind of whoever wound those was drifting while they were making them. :badteeth:
Condolences, the bums lost!
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Haha nice
Philip

Post by Philip »

:oldgrin: :hihi: