Some Jordan Bosstone information

Schematics, layouts & other technical mumbo jumbo.

Moderator: The Captain

Imperial

Re: Some Jordan Bosstone information

Post by Imperial »

I am glad this thread has be revived as it answers a few questions for me. Many Boss Tone users like the sound of the SPS5006 and SPS5007 pair.

Motorola does not have any info on these in house Jordan numbers. Since the MSPS6513 and MSPS4229 were used by Sho-Sound, they could be close.

I just built a vintage style unit with these transistors and they sound amazing. This is a nice pair for sure.

charge

Post by charge »

Here's one of my Alhambra. It's loaded 2x 2N3397 and is quite trebly and raspy.
Attachments
IMAG0029.jpg
IMAG0029.jpg (85.89 KiB) Viewed 4700 times
FUZZTX

Post by FUZZTX »

charge wrote:Here's one of my Alhambra. It's loaded 2x 2N3397 and is quite trebly and raspy.
Right on, man! I think this one is the first Boss Tone circuit produced.

Does yours have any caps on the solder/trace side?

Also, can you tell me what value the red bulbous cap and small ceramic cap are?

THANKS!
charge

Post by charge »

The ceramic cap shows "220K Y5F," and there are no markings on the mostly orange bulbous cap. The two black components just beneath the volume pot show "IN" and "4001." There are no components on the trace side. Here are a couple more pics.

Unfortunately a previous owner had the bright idea of etching "WW III," "WOW," and a "Cereal" # onto the casing. Fun. Also, I think it needs either the switch or the Attack knob cleaned or replaced. I'm getting a little bit of fuzz bleeding into the signal when the fuzz is switched off. I don't have the right equipment to test it. Got any recommendations of who to send it to? I wouldn't mind if someone used it to get the values as long as I got it back timely and fixed.
Attachments
IMAG0033.jpg
IMAG0033.jpg (79.33 KiB) Viewed 4678 times
IMAG0031.jpg
IMAG0031.jpg (64.31 KiB) Viewed 4678 times
IMAG0034.jpg
IMAG0034.jpg (63.32 KiB) Viewed 4678 times
IMAG0026-1.jpg
IMAG0026-1.jpg (72.65 KiB) Viewed 4678 times
FUZZTX

Post by FUZZTX »

Sweet! Thanks for the extra info! :tu:

I think that orange cap is color coded. I have no idea how to figure out the value of it though. My guess is it's a fairly low value output cap. The early green board units have a .002uF output cap where later versions on the same board have a jumper in that spot.

The only person I have experience here with regarding builds is John Lyons of Basic Audio. He has built several pedals for me and the quality is amazing! I think he does repairs, so you might hit him up. I highly recommend him!

I hope you get it working. This one looks like it is a little bit different circuit than the usual ones you see.
charge

Post by charge »

Cool, I will inqiure. I might also see if the guy from Mahoney can do it. I'll also see if he can get a measurement on that mystery cap.

The fuzz side of the pedal works perfectly, and I'll try and get a short clip up in a few days.
edkoppel

Post by edkoppel »

charge wrote:Cool, I will inqiure. I might also see if the guy from Mahoney can do it. I'll also see if he can get a measurement on that mystery cap.

The fuzz side of the pedal works perfectly, and I'll try and get a short clip up in a few days.
just an fyi,
the Mahoney dude is who posted right above you "Imperial".
he would probably be a good reference.
Oh, DB? That's just slang for Dandy Big muff collector.
-----------------------
Tone Machines, Vintage Effects Blog: www.tonemachinesblog.com

Instagram: https://instagram.com/ed_skymall
Imperial

Post by Imperial »

You have a very rare Boss Tone, great find. I would change the switch being that it's 45 years old.

The pots on those versions are high quality so it could be cleaned. If you need one I have them.
FUZZTX

Post by FUZZTX »

Imperial, can you confirm the value of the tantalum cap?
Imperial

Post by Imperial »

FUZZTX, I will need to desolder that cap and meter it. There are no markings on it so sorry I don't have the answer. This version is fairly aggressive and sounds nice.