Show off your builds!

Schematics, layouts & other technical mumbo jumbo.

Moderator: The Captain

vanguard

Re: Show off your builds!

Post by vanguard »

Okay, here's the thread for the run of 5 Zonks, and a run of 5 Rangemasters. Come on over and check 'em out.
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=20558&p=329445#p329445

https://blackstrapelectrik.com/

Has anyone seen an Englishman called Gavin?
waveclipper

Post by waveclipper »

Just finished tuning in and zipping up this Little Tweed Giant single ended 5 watter as a gift for a friend using old salvaged iron and components wherever possible -
100_1367 (550x413).jpg
100_1367 (550x413).jpg (325.61 KiB) Viewed 3833 times
100_1372 (550x413).jpg
100_1372 (550x413).jpg (266.07 KiB) Viewed 3833 times
Pointy point mash up of Little Giant with a dash of tweed Princeton. A few circuit changes and tweaks including changing input triode from grid leak bias (just a bit too gainy and compressed) to cathode bias, significantly stiffened up the preamp node filter cap, knocked back the OT primary cap, added a grid leak and grid to ground resistor to the 2nd gain stage, tweed style tone circuit, switchable negative feedback pot...
100_1402edit (550x413).jpg
100_1402edit (550x413).jpg (280.97 KiB) Viewed 3833 times
and though it may look rough it sounds really great imo, like a mini AC30 at very manageable volumes. From pristine hifi cleans all the way to Brian May with a large degree of control in that in-between edge of breakup dynamic chime zone. Strongly suspecting the old 60s 'JD Electronics, Birmingham' output transformer be the killer ingredient here :hmm:
Be sorry to let this one go...
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

^ That's a mighty nice gift, waveclipper!
waveclipper

Post by waveclipper »

Well, he's got a really nice early 80s Tokai strat and 60s Musicmaster that belonged to his dad (who used to work in a showband) but nothing to plug it in to.
Mostly I'm curious to see how it holds up to hard living - the bangs, the falls, the knocks, vomitus, beer stains, spliff burns... :rolleyes2:
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

waveclipper wrote:Well, he's got a really nice early 80s Tokai strat and 60s Musicmaster that belonged to his dad (who used to work in a showband) but nothing to plug it in to.
Mostly I'm curious to see how it holds up to hard living - the bangs, the falls, the knocks, vomitus, beer stains, spliff burns... :rolleyes2:
I could do all that in one good night at home… :banger: :drool2: :cheers: :bong2:
Then I'd call it "relicing" and charge you $500. :badteeth:
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

I really dig that amp build. Salvaging parts and building them into something like that is totally cool. It looks like an idea for a new circuit!
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
waveclipper

Post by waveclipper »

Yeah, it takes a bit of extra time mapping out the transformer windings compared to just buying something new, but it's all good quality steel with a beautiful character all of it's own that really deserves to be loved and used. It means that rather than slavishly copying an old circuit (which is cool too!) that you end up tuning in the sound and response to your own tastes which is rather satisfying.

Most importantly the total cost of the finished product is only about 10% of Horseyboy's Relic'ing Services! :shocked2:
cajone5

Post by cajone5 »

Got a request for a Si fuzzrite last week and knocked it out over the weekend. Did a couple like this a few years back as well. I have another board populated and plan to build that one up for myself in the not too distant future...

Image Image
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.
vanguard

Post by vanguard »

Rangemaster and Tonebender MK1.5 (npn) dually.
https://blackstrapelectrik.com/

Has anyone seen an Englishman called Gavin?
jagermonster

Post by jagermonster »

BITCHIN.