new klon old klon

Visual and Audio delights of D*A*M and other such noise makers.

Moderator: The Captain

jerms

new klon old klon

Post by jerms »

here's the last one for now..... an old klon and a new klon compared..... with '64 strat and '65 super reverb, mics AKG C414 and sennheiser 421 into pro tools..... dano on the fiddle!!

Last edited by jerms on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
chankgeez

Re: new klon old klon

Post by chankgeez »

From the video, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference?

What do you think, jerms?
"Kiev is a hell of a town." - Larry King
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

I couldn't hear any...unfortunately the new one is surface mount and comes in a shit enclosure but it really does sound nearly identical!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
chankgeez

Post by chankgeez »

Thanks, redeyeflight.

Yeah, surface mount components, generic stock enclosure and he's still having production problems.
jerms

Post by jerms »

yeah i hate to say it, but i really don't think the new one will take the abuse of live shows like the old ones..... i've beat the crap outta mine since i got it at least 12 years ago.... i can't imagine board mounted AC and IN/OUT jacks will hold up long at all..... and the the old layout provides for amazingly easy control with you foot, i can't do without that, and that kind of thing is impossible for me with the new one.... :scared: oh well! :shrug:
chankgeez

Post by chankgeez »

Thanks, jerms.

I think this new Klon is antithetical to his whole design philosophy, but we all make compromises somewhere down the line.
jerms

Post by jerms »

i know, i wish he'd just make both..... the economical one for the masses, and the pro utility instrument that it started out as... :party:
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

I'd love an original but its just too expensive. The new one isn't of the same build quality but I'm not too worried about putting it on my board and having a go with it, I don't do a lot of foot knob twillidin tho. Would there be an easy way to rehouse the circuit in something a bit more roadworthy?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
anemochore
Location: Outside of Suquamish at the bottem end of Hawkeye's trail next door to Nooshkum

Post by anemochore »

There were moments that I thought the older one excelled. But all in all they both sounded very close. I suppose considering the current price of an older one, the new one is a decent value. Then again, I wouldn't know if the new one is over priced considering the build.
Don't make me assume my ultimate form
chankgeez

Post by chankgeez »

jerms wrote:i know, i wish he'd just make both..... the economical one for the masses, and the pro utility instrument that it started out as... :party:
I thought along the same lines years ago, but he just likes to make things difficult.

It would make sense for him to offer both versions.