1948 Fender Deluxe amp

Visual and Audio delights of D*A*M and other such noise makers.

Moderator: The Captain

Ben Lyman

Re: 1948 Fender Deluxe amp

Post by Ben Lyman »

Scott wrote:[youtube]HBKnilFVCZI/youtube] Fuck it!!!
So close but you missed one teeny tiny little [
right before "/youtube]"
Scott

Post by Scott »

after i hit the SHARE button on youtube, i copy and pasted all of it over here. Then i put THAT in between the 'youtube' thing above. There were no brackets on the youtube link. Oh well. I give up. From now on, i'll let you guys finish it up. So what do you think of this old Fender amp?
Nick
The Artist Formerly Known As nightraven

Post by Nick »

It's a miracle that you were able to use AddOnChat back in the day :hihi:
Amp sounds cracking good though.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Nick wrote:It's a miracle that you were able to use AddOnChat back in the day :hihi:
Amp sounds cracking good though.
:dance: :lol: :freakout:

Funny thing is; i used to do the uploading the same way im doing it now. Something changed along the way. Or i just completely lost it! Its one of the two. :bong2:
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Enough about editing! The amp sounds so nice. Where do you pick up these fine specimens? Ever try a Lazy J20? Owned by the likes of JB, EC, Pete T and others who live for tweed tonez!
sciencefriction

Post by sciencefriction »

Scott, your stable of amps must be :drool2: :drool2: Great sound!
Scott

Post by Scott »

never tried a J20. who makes it? What i really enjoy most is hooking up different guitars to these amps. The variety of sounds that i get is unreal! They sure could build some sweet amps back in the day. :crackjam: And yes, no more editing talk!! :headbanger: :-P
Ebay and reverb.com are 2 places i look. Sometimes GBASE. Sometimes i just type in what i'm looking for and one may show up. Many times it's you guys who put up such amazing things that are for sale either here or elsewhere and i just go for it. :tu:
What i'm looking for now> original vibroverb or a brownface bandmaster but those are silly prices right now. Oh well. The search continues!
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

Yes, Vibroverbs are priced high but they have come down over the years. I think that is in part due to the reissues and some great replica models being made.

I have to shake my head when Fender discontinued the Vibroverb due to being an unpopular model and bad sales numbers. Once SRV became popular then they became must-have amps. Do you have a dual Showman? I think that will get you in the Vibroverb camp for a reasonable price, albeit two 15" speakers! The TV Front Bassman also has a single 15" speaker.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
Scott

Post by Scott »

don't have a showman. Heard they are GREAT! This amp isn't running as loud as i thought it would. It kind of overdrives at a lower volume. Not much clean here unless it's at arond the 2 or volume. After that, it just breaks up. Sounds greawt to me but i thought there would be a bit more clean head room. The tubes are all original. Could it be that these tubes need to be replaced? Your thoughts would be much appreciated.
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

I would probably start at the tubes and then maybe look at the speaker. Does that amp have the 6SN7 preamp and the metal can 6V6's installed? That 5Y3 Rectifier is pretty low too. There are a few tricks you can do to squeeze a bit more headroom out of old Fender amps, though I am guessing you probably wouldn't want to mess with that amp's circuit.

With my Silver face Princeton and Deluxe Reverb I had them both rebiased to accept 6L6 tubes and a GZ34 rectifier. I also swapped out the speaker for a Celestion Greenback in the Deluxe and fit a new baffle in the Princeton to accept a 12" speaker and also installed a Greenback. I can crank the Princeton all the way up and it pretty much stays clean, which makes it a great small amp as a pedal platform. With the Deluxe, it certainly breaks up later on the volume knob and it seems to cut through much better in a band setting.

I am not sure exactly what the tech did to the circuit to make the necessary adjustments to the amp but I am happy with the way they came out.
Last edited by 1bottlerocket on Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty