castledine and DAM MKII's (OC84 and OC75)

Visual and Audio delights of D*A*M and other such noise makers.

Moderator: The Captain

Dullboy

Re: castledine and DAM MKII's (OC84 and OC75)

Post by Dullboy »

How can someone choose one? :roll:
They're soooo similar, just microscopic differences. At this level they are all top MKII...
Do you prefer one Jerms? I already know the aswer eheh
"Sometimes the nicest thing to do with a guitar is just look at it."
Thom Yorke

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
jerms

Post by jerms »

IDK, stu's is ace! raw and totally pagish... david's OC84 loaded one is really awesome in totally different ways, it's darker, fat and singing with awesome range on the attack knob, it can get down into MKI.5 territory at minimum. really stellar.... i haven't played dan's OC75 on enough to form a good opinion yet, but it seemed much like stu's old one....
sluttyindian

Post by sluttyindian »

jerms wrote:IDK, stu's is ace! raw and totally pagish... david's OC84 loaded one is really awesome in totally different ways, it's darker, fat and singing with awesome range on the attack knob, it can get down into MKI.5 territory at minimum. really stellar.... i haven't played dan's OC75 on enough to form a good opinion yet, but it seemed much like stu's old one....
Is Stus a SCB or long board?
"These pedals are like women, when you need one there's none around. When you finally get in a serious relationship with one, they come out of the woodwork." -Turkish
jerms

Post by jerms »

long board.... i'll post some guts soon
guitar.lab

Post by guitar.lab »

I had an early DAM MKII, no trim pot. Great. Not gated, but almost to that point. Tight and good, oc75. Recently had the grey oc75 Sola DAM MKII and it was a looser sound. I think some use the word greasey. It wasn't my thing. I'd rather have an MK1.5 if I wanted a looser sound and fiddle with my guitar volume to perfect it. Can't blame Dave though, he's been doing this for so long, one would assume experimenting with bias and values is part of the fun... And keeps you from going mad?

I had 4 MKII pedals from Stu (sold off so much stuff lately) and they were all right and tight. One with AC128, a custom mix for crazy gain, and a couple OC75 ones. They sounded very close to the early DAM model, but it was more that they had the character I look for. Good for single note sabbath style rifts, excellent texture, etc. Dinitely not loose or soupy. The gain knob was completely useable all the way down or up!

You can't go wrong here, just depends what MKII sounds you're looking for. I feel the same about oc84 units. It seems like they never get quite as tight, but I've had SonicVI (Daniel Means) made ones, the best OC84 MKII stuff I've ever heard.
Salesman

Post by Salesman »

That was awesome!
Last edited by Salesman on Tue May 31, 2016 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

If I had to pick, I'd probably go for the OC84. I like the darker, more ragged edges to the fuzz sound on that one. But they all sound glorious. Great vid!
Zacharia Matilda

Post by Zacharia Matilda »

Wow that Castledine sounds so bad-ass. All sound great but Stu's is trucking for sure!
:metal:

Edited to say thanks to you guys for the great demo!
"What we need is a love bomb. A 100% gold plated, purified love bomb."
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

That OC84 has been the best MK II I have ever played. I can get sounds out of it that I am not able to with other MK II units. I do wnat to try the 75 now. :banger:
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty