1966 ( psycho lime )

The Italian two-transistor king of the bee's.

Moderator: The Captain

wheelman

1966 ( psycho lime )

Post by wheelman »

It took me ages to get around to trying the Italian tone bender by D*A*M. It might of been a good thing for me because as they went on they got smoother it seems. I may have quickly wrote it off at an earlier time. This one is still very raw and more open than a MKII. It has the most dynamic feel and tone I've tried in a tone bender yet. I usually stay pretty close to the MKII camp as far as favorites go, but this may change everything. Maybe I just needed a change. I was pretty surprised at the clean up as well. I never heard clean up this good from a tone bender. The good kind too where there are nice shades of overdriven tones as you roll down the volume on your guitar, and not gated fuzz tones. This gives it some great flexibility. Throw in the super bee switch and its a completely different beast. The super bee mode is a monster. It's crazy almost reminds me of some of the Beatles tones where its got this super overblown fat overdriven tone. Not as raw and fuzzy as the 66, but a much larger smoother overdriven fuzz tone. I had a super bee once I liked it but it didn't bond to well with my gear at the time. It grew on me as the days went though but this sounds nothing like the super bee I previously had. I would like to try another someday. I dig this pedal quite a bit and it's a nice change. It has a lot of characteristics of what I look for in a "rock" amp. Tight, articulate, dynamic and raw. I would imagine it would be total bliss through a cranked up plexi. If I could improve one thing it would be a hair more gain, but it might change the over all dynamics, and clean up. I wouldn't want to compromise that especially if all I needed was more power tube saturation. I only mention this because it's so close to perfection at lower volumes for what it does. Anyways thought I would chime in on this beast. Its without a doubt my new favorite tool. I'm sure it's all been said before but who cares it kicks serious ass, and maybe you need a reminder of it's massive awesomeness.

... "Where is the Magic everybody talks about?"...
Funky Druid

Post by Funky Druid »

1966 is really amazing box of dirt, man.
Here's gut shot of Psycho Lime 1966 wit OC71/OC83 combo, that I used to have (maybe this is the same :badteeth: ):
Attachments
gutz
gutz
1966.jpg (98.69 KiB) Viewed 7731 times
imguitardan

Post by imguitardan »

I LOVE my Lime 1966! The only other D*A*M that I think I couldn't live without is my M-25.
New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.

Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
Scott

Re: 1966 ( psycho lime )

Post by Scott »

I agree with Dan on the M-25. I have the black and gold one and it stays put. And my old gray hammerite (double OC76) 1966 also stays put. Love 'em both!!! :tu:
imguitardan

Re:

Post by imguitardan »

imguitardan wrote:I LOVE my Lime 1966! The only other D*A*M that I think I couldn't live without is my M-25.
...and my Red Rooster...
New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.

Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
anemochore
Location: Outside of Suquamish at the bottem end of Hawkeye's trail next door to Nooshkum

Re:

Post by anemochore »

Funky Druid wrote:1966 is really amazing box of dirt, man.
Here's gut shot of Psycho Lime 1966 wit OC71/OC83 combo, that I used to have (maybe this is the same :badteeth: ):
Well It looks like I just bought this/your old one. It's still in the mail but judging from the photos, the transistors, caps and all are identical.
Even the bias is still at the same position which relieves some of the fears I have around used pedals that have been fucked with. I'm sure it sounds beyond awesome, but am curious if you've ever compared it to another '66 with different transistors? (this one looks different from any I've seen on line. Even others with the OC71) If so how did it compare?
Don't make me assume my ultimate form
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Those last batch 1966s are beefier and smoother than other 1966s I've tried.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

The 1966 was my first D*A*M pedal and it took me awhile to warm up to it. I have about four and my favorite '66 is one I picked up here in Japan, with a TI OC81. Something about the way it is tuned really floats my boat.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
anemochore
Location: Outside of Suquamish at the bottem end of Hawkeye's trail next door to Nooshkum

Post by anemochore »

redeyeflight wrote:Those last batch 1966s are beefier and smoother than other 1966s I've tried.
1bottlerocket wrote:The 1966 was my first D*A*M pedal and it took me awhile to warm up to it. I have about four and my favorite '66 is one I picked up here in Japan, with a TI OC81. Something about the way it is tuned really floats my boat.
The '66 is the one I been trying to get my hands on. Already have a DAM Sola MKII and a Super Bee sb66 which is beafy in itself. Can't wait to compare them. Hoping it will be on the raspy acid drenched side of things.
Don't make me assume my ultimate form
modeerf

Post by modeerf »

^nice piece man...

My '66 is pure raspy freakout fuzz, very different from the superbee I had. It is more unruly and rough around the edges, the superbee seems very refined and mastered.
I love the '66, and is one pedal I will never sell...
Do Drugs, Worship Satan.