Why do none of my other umpteen fuzzes sound like the 1966?

The Italian two-transistor king of the bee's.

Moderator: The Captain

gururyan

Why do none of my other umpteen fuzzes sound like the 1966?

Post by gururyan »

Seriously, why is that? Most of my other fuzz pedals overlap each other or at least I have another pedal that sort of sounds similar. Not so with the 1966. It really does stand alone, and proud. I just spent 2 hours with all my fuzz pedals hooked up and tried different guitars, settings, etc. Nothing comes close to the 1966's tone/sound/rip.

Sure, bring on the funny statements, but really...why is that? What is it that separates the 1966 so far from all others?

The pedals I have thrown at the 1966:
  • Skin Pimp MKIII
  • Skin Pimp BuzzAround
  • Skin Pimp FuzzBite
  • Skin Pimp Samurai
  • MJM London
  • MJM China
  • MJM BritBender
  • DragonFly Fuzz Saw
  • TF Huckleberry
  • Earthquaker Hoof
  • Sonic VI Champion Fuzz Unit
  • Mad Effects DD30
  • Mad Effects Cold Gin
  • LRE Fuzz Sound
  • vintage MXR D+
:popcorn:
Ryan

They talk of my drinking but never my thirst.
Graham

Re: Why do none of my other umpteen fuzzes sound like the 1966?

Post by Graham »

Hey Ryan - I'm afraid that I dont know many of the pedals on your list but I think I do know the old stuff and specially the various tonebender versions ~ although I am sure that other members here are better versed in some than myself ~ but trying to sensibly answer your question - I'd imagine that a big part would be that David doesn't really try to mess with or in any way improve/alter/modify/tweak or whatever the originals - I think it's pretty understandable that folks - even if only subconciously - try to put their own stamp on pedals that they have sweated over (plus a few may not have had the opportunities to actually try out some of the earlier stuff themselves) - I was never hugely interested in more recent pedals for probably the same reason that's underneath your questioning -

If you have something that is "A Classic" in the proper sense of the word then it doesn't really want any altering just maybe matching (often a tall enough order) - from what I can tell Dave has spent a hell of a large chunk of his time and effort working on these early gems and has managed to totally nail their beauty tonally - I'm not trying to be a sycophant or whatever - I'm perfectly able to criticise him where I felt it was warranted - and as I said I am in no way qualified to make any observations on the pedals you listed (or at least most of them) though I'm sure most are excellent - but I have spent an awful long time critically comparing the stuff Dave makes alongside the originals that I have been fortunate enough to pick up and he just nails them simply spot on - uncannily so in my opinion that it must be attention to detail alongside obsessive dedication to the task - ok some of the other stuff he makes are their own thing despite often having their roots in something earlier - But his 66 and Mk2's and Mk1's (for those fortunate enough to have a chance to hear or play one) are just perfect far as I'm concerned - I am particularly looking forward to seeing how the new FuzzSound holds out against the Mk3's - Every bit as well I would imagine!

Cheers - Graham
gururyan

Post by gururyan »

Thanks for time that took to answer Graham. That makes a lot of sense actually, and goes to show that you really should leave perfection alone. My 1966 stands so far from the others, it really is all by itself out there...untouchable.
Ryan

cubba

Post by cubba »

Good question and a great reply from Greedy Graham.

I'd only add to it that of all the fuzzes you listed
(tho' I don't know the build-type of every one there),
none seem to have the same circuit as the '66.
Like Graham says, Dave also encapsulates what's great and classic
about the original into his '66.
That he's able to do that should not be taken for granted,
since it's easy to approximate that sound
but difficult to nail it as precisely as he does.

I will say that I just had an original "66" here to test out for the past 2 months or so.
An Italian Vox Tonebender with the SFT trannies in it.
Comparing it to my OC76-loaded '66, the similarities in sound were unbelievably close.
You could barely tell the difference between the two. The gain tone was identical.
The only differences I could tell was the low-end contour of the two
and the way in which they cleaned up.
I would have a really hard time choosing which I liked better.
The choice would be totally relevant to the combination of gtr/amp.

When my bud and fellow forumite Cado was here,
we plugged them in side-by-side and did some comparisons.
I was smitten with them both,
but leaning a little towards the Vox because of it's lower-gain sounds.
He on the other hand unequivocally preferred the '66
and in his hands I could see that he was right.
It molded to his playing perfectly and he to it.

My only regret is that I wasn't able to record the two
due to some recording problems I was having.
What gets me is all the tweaking,
just crank that bitch and be done with it! -- duende
Graham

Post by Graham »

I agree with it all but would comment that one difference you do see with the DAM pedals is that they tend to "Breathe" a little more freely - its a strange way of describing it but with a newer pedal what is often perceived as a lack of bottom end or depth is maybe something else - not that it's lacking just that as these old pedals age they tend to "warm up" or ripen - bit like a nice wine (and I'm not being OTT in my choice of words here) - I think the similarity to a good wine improving with age is particularly apt with a well thought out "cloned" pedal - The newer pedals all have that same "openness" or maybe what appears to be a different treble response / lack of bottom end (they are the same thing really) but having spent absolutely untold hours trying to pin down the differences myself this is about as close as I can get to it - When it comes to some of the other builders I reckon that they try to get their wares sounding exactly like the old pedals do NOW - whereas I'd venture an opinion that Davids pedals - or the Sola copies anyway - sound precisely the way the originals would have sounded when they were new or at least much younger and that given time they will most likely grow (ripen) into that same mellowed tone which is so tricky to pin down with the real old stuff - It definitely is not just a matter of fiddling with the eq - just tuning the pedals to emulate the depth of an old timer - or in some other way restricting the airiness that surrounds the tone..

Now I'm only speaking as a player and all round gear fanatic - I havent a clue as to the actual mechanics (or should that be electronics) involved - just speaking from what I have heard over what has really been a very long time doing my utmost (often ruinously) to chase down that eluisive tone that is sometimes there inside my head (our heads ~ am I ringing any bells here??) - mainly amps and speakers and out of reach guitars for the first years but increasingly tubes, cables and pedals (somehow I never quite got into batteries though I have been all the way into variacs with amps!!) - how often you get almost there - so close that its just about all over and not really worth bashing yourself up any more trying to chase what is seemingly an impossibly elusive dragon - most folks would be satisfied and call it a job well done -It's called the law of diminishing returns in that he additional effort required to get any further along your own particular chosen road takes on an exponentiality (is that a real word :hmm: ) money - time - it all takes its toll most people can't handle the frustrations or pain that follows - One or two people though - they are made of different stuff - driven probably to the point of madness (and again I'm choosing words as carefully as I can - I think!) and their character just takes them that little bit further - it's what sets some peope apart - whether your'e talking speakers or valves - the wood used in cabinets or alloys in guitar furniture - there are that small band of fanatics that enrich our lives because "almost there ~ job well done!" that just doesn't quite get them there

Well I'll rest my case but I know (or at least hope I do) that what I have tried to say will ring true with many here - most of us share the same appetites or we wouldn't have found our way here in the first place - at the end of the day we are fortunate that there are a good number of people who would fit into the category I have described that regularly hang out here - like minded folks tend to hang together! It is certainly one answer to the question initially asked - and David most definitely does fit into the frame described above (though I guess he'd have been the same if he was a cricket fan and wanted to develop the ultimate bat!!) Thats not in any way meant to rubbish other builders - I am sure that plenty feel precisely the same and equally sure that others will come across this place and find it the stimulus that encourages them to "go that extra mile themselves" - Dave's recent generosity in allowing third party builders free access to show off their own work will go a long way to ensuring that! - And if you ever wanted a real insight into his character - there it is!!

Anyway enough waxing lyrical - if you want to check a '66 that breaks out of the mould - I can whole heartedly recommend the Black & Gold silicon beauties
:marx:

G :mrgreen:
Cado

Post by Cado »

All I know is that the 1966 deserves a lot more praise. It seems to be in the shadow of the MKII. Its tone is what first comes to mind when I think fuzz! Notes fade perfectly, when rolling back the guitar's volume the tone remains consistent, it sounds great with every type of pickup (P90s sound the best) and totally has that 60s vibe! Can't beat it!
gururyan

Post by gururyan »

Cado wrote:All I know is that the 1966 deserves a lot more praise. It seems to be in the shadow of the MKII. Its tone is what first comes to mind when I think fuzz! Notes fade perfectly, when rolling back the guitar's volume the tone remains consistent, it sounds great with every type of pickup (P90s sound the best) and totally has that 60s vibe! Can't beat it!
I couldn't agree with this more.
Ryan

tatter

Post by tatter »

All other fuzzes i've played sound like they are under a blanket compared to my 66. I like how it isn't compressed at all and responds to picking etc. Perhaps it's due to the total lack of bottom end? Dunno but whatever it is i like it!
http://www.myspace.com/sinisterfootwear
http://www.reverbnation.com/sinisterfootwear

Fender Vintage Player Stratocaster > D*A*M AA > Arion SAD-1 > Line 6 M9 > Ibanez 850 Mini Fuzz > CAE Boost / Line Driver
jimi_dylan

Post by jimi_dylan »

Cado wrote:All I know is that the 1966 deserves a lot more praise. It seems to be in the shadow of the MKII. Its tone is what first comes to mind when I think fuzz! Notes fade perfectly, when rolling back the guitar's volume the tone remains consistent, it sounds great with every type of pickup (P90s sound the best) and totally has that 60s vibe! Can't beat it!
Yep. I once had a D.A.M. MKII OC75. It did not fit my tastes. I sold it. I will not sell my Ge and Si 1966 pedals. These are great for me!
muffin man

Post by muffin man »

For the last couple of week's i've had an original vox on loan and i liked it so much i just had to have one.