Guitar tuned Zeke??

The swollen fat bellied electron gorged beast.

Moderator: The Captain

kb892

Re: Guitar tuned Zeke??

Post by kb892 »

i have one of the guitar versions but not ever having a standard i wouldn't know how they compare. i remember asking Dave to make it with more upper mid emphasis than the standard zeke. shoulda bought both back then :doh: who would ever think Mr Main would become so popular! :tu:
TheWarmth

Post by TheWarmth »

I owned one of the guitar-tuned Zekes for awhile. It was badass and I wish I would have kept it. I have a 2013 bass Zeke and it sounds very different on guitar than the guitar version did. I appear to be in the minority here: I wouldn't use my (bass) Zeke on guitar. I found one setting that sounds pretty good, but to my ears, it is clearly intended for use with bass. It'd be awesome if Dave did a new run of guitar-tuned Zekes. Perhaps a petition is in order!
stella_blues

Post by stella_blues »

I think the new Zeke sounds awesome with guitar.....everything sounds huge through it.i like how it adds low end to a midrangey overdrive.

Never tried the guitar tuned Zeke, a petition to Dave would be a great idea, I'd love to hear the difference side by side. Maybe every 5th or so batch should be tuned accordingly :hyper:
daCod

Post by daCod »

stella_blues wrote:I think the new Zeke sounds awesome with guitar.....everything sounds huge through it.i like how it adds low end to a midrangey overdrive.
:agree:

new zeke + guitar + big fuckin tube amp = :pissed:
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

TheWarmth wrote:I owned one of the guitar-tuned Zekes for awhile. It was badass and I wish I would have kept it. I have a 2013 bass Zeke and it sounds very different on guitar than the guitar version did. I appear to be in the minority here: I wouldn't use my (bass) Zeke on guitar. I found one setting that sounds pretty good, but to my ears, it is clearly intended for use with bass. It'd be awesome if Dave did a new run of guitar-tuned Zekes. Perhaps a petition is in order!
I partially agree with this, although I haven't tried a guitar tuned version. The germanium setting and to some extant the silicon diode setting can sound a bit lackluster on guitar, and they sound fantastic on bass. But, I find the LED and no clipping settings are fantastic on guitar. And recently recording with the zeke on guitar I found that the germanium setting does have its uses for guitar, especially when combined with another drive pedal. I ran my monolith oracle set to a crunchy grind into the zeke on a germanium setting with the blend about halfway and it added a wonderful girth and harmonic edge to the tone I wouldn't have been able to achieve otherwise. So with some experimentation I've found it quite useful for guitar. I agree with you thought Paul, it really shines on bass heavy signals...through my moog synth it's just monstrous! :crackjam:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Yggdrazil

Post by Yggdrazil »

redeyeflight wrote:The germanium setting and to some extant the silicon diode setting can sound a bit lackluster on guitar, and they sound fantastic on bass. But, I find the LED and no clipping settings are fantastic on guitar.
Exactly what i think about it on guitar but I still need to try it on bass; so, i will take all you said as a guide in my further experimentation :tu:
Instagram:@Stonefly_effects

The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world.>David Fair
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

Personally, I wouldn't ever recommend the Zeke for guitar use. Sure, it works and all and for some it could be a truly great thing but ultimately it is intended for use with bass instruments.
The gain structure, frequency response and the general set-up of the pedal is all about the 4 string mother fuckers. I emphasise the personally part above as I really would not care to use the pedal on guitar myself, too little gain, too heavy in the lows, not enough midrange punch, and that amount transparency on guitar I would not care for, horses for courses though innit.

Guitar tuned version? Ain't gonna happen. Don't see the point. I think it's a pretty decent dirt box for bass, it would be mediocre one for guitar. Buy a Klon, or be a man and play bass :teeth2:
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Hey Captian how do you set the zeke for your bass rig?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

Silicon. Drive a crack over noon. Treble and Level backed off a teeny tiny bit. Blend just under half way. Rickenbacker and Orange pretty dirty to begin with. Rics tone half closed. It pretty much acts as a second channel.

:party:
jetofuj

Post by jetofuj »

I use it as a dirt box, so treble and drive maxed with 25% of clean signal.

If you want more of a tube sound than dirt, then start with treble, drive and clean signal half way on silicon or led setting. It fattens the sound, especially if you're using solid state amp.