MK II Special Valvo OC71 "Low Gain" 1 of 2

Tone-Bending electronic fuzz unit, harmonic generator with 20 second sustain.

Moderator: The Captain

Sauniere

Re: MK II Special Valvo OC71 "Low Gain" 1 of 2

Post by Sauniere »

NICE!
JP30

Post by JP30 »

LOW GAIN !! MKII
she is a beautiful red hair girl...

really, if you guy want Tonebender with nice cleaned up sound when Volume is turned down THAT IS IT !!
She almost like suped up version of Super Bee..in MKII kinda way(as I recall... :squint: )

not aggressive sounding but it's got a touch of fuzzface feel to her.

Sickle wrote:I've seen these(or other?) "Low Gain" D*A*M MK II's pass around here and there like red-headed stepchildren. This is a mistake!
mistake..... mistake . . . :headpop:
pigeontoe

Post by pigeontoe »

Would this one with Mullard OC71's be considered a low gain version as well?

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
pigeontoe

Post by pigeontoe »

Thanks for the very informative reply. :tu:
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Sauniere

Post by Sauniere »

What Sickle said. :oldgrin: My Supa Fuzz has replacement OC71s and it's a gain monster. Has more gain than my OC81D D*A*M which is a monster. Monster! :zgrin:
Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior »

Sickle wrote:
Max gain for an OC71, at least what was designated by Mullard, was an hfe of 41 with no +/-, which compared to an OC75(hfe ranges of 100-200), is very low gain.

I had a couple Mullard OC71's I gave Brad, and the values were too low to use, so by no means were all germaniums, even those by Mullard, made to exact spec. This is one of the technical(and not Mojo) reasons the OC78 through OC82D series are so valued: the QC on these was very tight, and matched factory specs with a vastly superior quality. WYSIWYG, in other words.

But the gains on all of these old germaniums are all over the fucking place, man.

I've seen OC76's with hfe's exceeding 400!!

:headpop:
or maybe 41 was supposed to be the minimum gain?
To make thing more confusing: I suspect some specs varied. I've seen some Mullard data sheets stating that OC44s have typical hfe of 100. Other Mullard data sheets give a range from 40 to 225.
Everything is transitional.