placement of Red Rooster in pedal chain...?

Tonal shaping & volume boosting delivered with germanium love.

Moderator: The Captain

Coolhand78

placement of Red Rooster in pedal chain...?

Post by Coolhand78 »

So my Red Baron Red Rooster should rock up this week, and i'm curious where you guys
put your RR's in your pedal chain... i'm assuming it would be up front...

here's my pedal order, where do you think would be best...

EJ Strat -> Roger Mayer Octavia -> Area 51 Wah -> Analogman NTK Sunface -> Barber Launch pad ->
Sweetsound Mojovibe -> custom A/B (A: Diamond Memory Lane B: timmy -> Echoplex EP3) ->
Van Amps Sole Mate reverb -> AMP (66 bassman)

so i'm thinking either before the octavia or after the sunface... do they work better in front of a fuzz face or after?
never used a treble booster before so your advice is muchos appreciated...

cheers
"Yorkshire isn't a place. Yorkshire is a state of mind." ~ Howard Moon
zerorez

Re: placement of Red Rooster in pedal chain...?

Post by zerorez »

Sickle wrote:Boosters go last after Fuzz and before modulation/time-based effects. Some people like using it before, but I disagree.
That is exactly where I run mine it would be last in the chain for fuzz/overdrive loops, but before my modultaion stuff. :hihi:
Coolhand78

Post by Coolhand78 »

cool, are they particularly interactive with your guitars volume... i use my sunface probably 90% of the time and i ride the vol on my guitar a LOT...
CitizenAudio

Post by CitizenAudio »

I do it slightly different because of the inherent uniqueness of my overdrive pedal. All my fuzzes are lined up first then I have my red rooster after that, and then I put the red rooster into the honey bee overdrive. Then mod/crazy shit.

Why? The honeybee loves to be over driven. The more you put in, the more unique it sounds. You put a boost through this thing, it becomes its own monster and works wonders into a clean amp. This gives it that organic, syrup-like crunch. On my amp's second channel, it is set up like a tweed with mids scooped and extra bite-added (my amp is a metropolitan made by Tone King btw) then you add a treble booster and it becomes a totally different type of tone.

Wonderful, wonderful stuff. The red rooster is very versatile and can work in many ways. I like it after fuzzes although I rarely ever stack it because it kinda defeats the purpose of buying all these nice fuzz pedals if you are going to taint the tone of them.
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

Sickle wrote:Boosters go last after Fuzz and before modulation/time-based effects. Some people like using it before, but I disagree.
I've heard arguments for both. As usual everything before everything else is the rule of thumb. I get a lot of hiss with a rangemaster-type after fuzz, and it's just horrible after wah. Shame, I like the sound better after fuzz, but the hiss is a deal breaker, so I'm running it first. Am I doing something wrong?
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
zerorez

Post by zerorez »

devnulljp wrote:
I've heard arguments for both. As usual everything before everything else is the rule of thumb. I get a lot of hiss with a rangemaster-type after fuzz, and it's just horrible after wah. Shame, I like the sound better after fuzz, but the hiss is a deal breaker, so I'm running it first. Am I doing something wrong?
I think there are no set rules here, whatever works best with your particular combination of pedals is good!

Ther are a lot of variations in fuzz overdrive circuits some work better being boosted first and some sound better being boosted after the gain is set. :mrgreen:
JP30

Post by JP30 »

+ 1 on after fuzz.

I don't know why... it's just my preference.
Coolhand78

Post by Coolhand78 »

Sickle wrote:
Coolhand78 wrote:cool, are they particularly interactive with your guitars volume... i use my sunface probably 90% of the time and i ride the vol on my guitar a LOT...
And you will LOSE that interaction, same as any fuzz), the second you place a buffered circuit in between the Rooster and your geetar.
Definitely no buffers before fuzz! I only have one buffer in my again and thats the launch pad which will eventually be replace with a cornish ld3... But it goes right after fuzz
skybone

Post by skybone »

Just to add my tuppenceha'pennies worth into this one...

My board layout: Korg DT-10 > Rooster > Titan > Small Stone > Small Clone (now replaced with Colorsound Wah)

I tried the Rooster in a few positions on the board, but anywhere after the Titan, it wasn't really having an audible effect on the signal. Basically all you can hear after the Titan's pummeled the shit out of the signal is the Titan pummeling the shit out of the signal (which is no bad thing!). As the Titan is on all the time, the only place where the Rooster can go, and still be heard, is in front of the Titan. With the Range set around 12 o'clock to boost the mids, and the Level on full, it lifts that section of the signal prior to the Titan getting it's grubby mitts on the signal and giving it a right, royal kicking.

The result, a nice mid boost for solo's... the only caveat here is, that you better not fluff anything, as the signal rapidly descends into glorious waves of feedback.
CitizenAudio

Post by CitizenAudio »

I found that if you put the Rooster before your main overdrive it can make a beneficial effect as well. I use a Toneczar Dove which filters out some of the hiss and also shaves a bit off the highs. I like this because the Dove is very amp like as well so in essence I have 2 stages where I can effect it using the Rooster.

Since my amp is a 2 channel amp as well, I can switch it over to the lead channel which is beefier and takes off a bit of the highs and then slam it with just the Rooster and it makes this great upper register crunch like you hear on the main page.

All in all, you should try all your gear in different combos to really "master" the gear... even simple ones like treble boosters!