Sonic Titan History

Power amplifier distortion from mount Zion.

Moderator: The Captain

nad

Re: Sonic Titan History

Post by nad »

drunkenguitarist wrote:Has anyone posted a clip of the ST-08 yet? I keep wondering whether or not its comparable to the gold (dark) version that I had.
I realize this post is a few years old, but hey, I'm much older than that, so WTF aye? :smashed:

I have a gold/dark Sonic Titan that I fucking adore. It destroys on bass, so good it hurts!

Just picked up an ST-08 and was quickly surprised at the differences. The overall qi remains intact, but the bass content differs, and the tone knob has an entirely different feel.

Goldie has a permanent spot on my main board. I removed it twice to try other things and both times came running back after just one evening, apologizing effusively, a grown man weeping without shame. "I'm so sorry....I can change....please forgive me....I wish I knew how to quit you!"

Not sure what to think of Orangie just yet, but I've only had one rehearsal with it so far. So, perhaps like a fine wine aging, let us see what happens over the next few months!

ALL HAIL THE MISKASONIC CHTITANLHU...!!! :cthulhu2:
"'Tis a world of creditors, of which the tomb and the worm are the last. There is little left for the devil, when these have taken their due account."
--The Skeleton
jetofuj

Post by jetofuj »

Dave changes the tuning from time to time - orange is the most recent one, while the gold is probably "dark" (vs. blues) version, or maybe not :smashed:

Good to hear that you dig it :tu:
nad

Post by nad »

jetofuj wrote:Dave changes the tuning from time to time - orange is the most recent one, while the gold is probably "dark" (vs. blues) version, or maybe not :smashed:

Good to hear that you dig it :tu:
Goldie is definitely a dark version, but messing with the settings on Orangie has yielded some damn fine results. Just a different flavoUr of awesome, should be a keeper as well! Unless I have to sell it to pay some bills. If that turns out to be the case, I'll have to box it up and send it elsewhere...

"'Tis a world of creditors, of which the tomb and the worm are the last. There is little left for the devil, when these have taken their due account."
--The Skeleton
Julia Stargirl

Post by Julia Stargirl »

yes good question - blues or dark or normal ?
what about the early Sonic Titans from 2006?
for example ST-07 NO 043 in White Sparkle?
is that a dark one, a normal one or a blues one ?
any help?
thanks
Doveholes

Post by Doveholes »

Intrigued to know if there is any sonic difference between these two? To my ears the white one from 2006 is a little brighter and I prefer the sound and feel of the blue 2008 edition.

Doveholes

Post by Doveholes »

Doveholes wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:32 pm To my ears the white one from 2006 is a little brighter
Of course I may be completely imagining this and just haven't managed to accurately dial in matching settings.
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

I was talking about early titans today, there might be a slight difference in those two but probably not huge, the early ones are brighter/treblier, then there was the dark/blues ones that were a bit thicker and the newer ST08’s sat kind of in the middle. That’s just a general guideline, obviously amps and guitars come into the equation
’brutish in character but not thug like’
tigerdriver

Post by tigerdriver »

My experience with a grey hammer (more bluesy) and the gold Dark was that the grey one could sound like the dark by rolling off the guitar tone knob a bit. The knobs had a different taper but I didn’t think the amount of gain was that different.
Pahathuasyndicate

Post by Pahathuasyndicate »

The blue one was custom tuned for use with bass as a special request for the owner. I owned that blue Titan for a while and it was louder and cleaner/ less fuzzier than other Titan had played. It’s a very good one. I never got to run it through a bass rig but I imagine that’s where it will shine.
Doveholes

Post by Doveholes »

Pahathuasyndicate wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:13 pm The blue one was custom tuned for use with bass as a special request for the owner. I owned that blue Titan for a while and it was louder and cleaner/ less fuzzier than other Titan had played. It’s a very good one. I never got to run it through a bass rig but I imagine that’s where it will shine.
Nice, thanks for the info. Very interesting to hear. This one is a keeper - sounds huge through my Fender Twin.