Jimmy Page: Early Sessions

Post sounds and videos of bands you dig on, even your own.

Moderator: The Captain

Gemma Thrush

Re: Jimmy Page: Early Sessions

Post by Gemma Thrush »

kelvinator60 wrote:I always loved Circles. I know Page produced that one, but is he playing on it? Is that like a Maestro tone/volume pedal for those swells?

Which part of Baby Please Don't Go did Page play? Is he the main guitar riff or the background 2nd guitar you hear in the breakdown section?

:crackjam: either way!!!
In the v. long interview with him in Ugly Things, I recall that Billy Harrison of Them takes full credit for the guitar on Baby Please Don't Go - I can't remember exactly, but I think he explicitly said Jimmy Page wasn't involved. He definitely sounded quite aggrieved that Jimmy Page continues to get the credit.
psycho*daisies

Post by psycho*daisies »

Ok, well I stand corrected. I always thought the playing on that was WAY more deft and skilled sounding than any other thing Billy Harrison played on. Good to know (re; the Billy Harrison interview - i have that issue! that (excellent) mag is so densely packed with info - i guess i missed that...i'll have to go dig up that article again.

This may turn into the Page-Legend Debunking thread! haha.

The Fleur De Lys - I was pretty confident that was JP on guitar (b side too - below) but then i looked a bit deeper and found this website that lists Phil Sawyer on guitar and the b-side has the same style/sounding gtr. http://ukpsych.tripod.com/lesfluerdelys.htm

Sawyer left after that single flopped & the group "did the Mud In Your Eye single with new guitarist Bryan Haworth." (again) that same raga style - not as polished here...(seems a bit of mimicry).

Any other opinions, info on this one? :hmm: Ah, just another thread of speculative Page ramblings... :cool:
Last edited by psycho*daisies on Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

I never knew he played on that Them tune either (or not as the case might be), such a great tune :crackjam:

heres a Kinks one, hes on 12 string

’brutish in character but not thug like’
waveclipper

Post by waveclipper »

^ I thought he only played tambo with da keenks?! :hihi:

"At various times, both Shel Talmy and future Deep Purple co-founder Jon Lord — who played keyboards on ‘You Really Got Me’ — have asserted that Jimmy Page did provide rhythm, not lead guitar, on the track, before playing the same role on the Kinks’ first album. However, Page and Ray Davies beg to differ.

“I didn’t really do that much on the Kinks’ records,” Page admitted in a 1972 interview. “I know I managed to get a couple of riffs in on their album, but I can’t really remember. I know that Ray didn’t really approve of my presence. The Kinks just didn’t want me around when they were recording. It was Shel Talmy’s idea.”

In Ritchie Yorke’s 1976 book, Led Zeppelin: The Definitive Biography, Ray went a little further: “Jimmy Page played tambourine on ‘Long Tall Sally’ because he came into the studio as a friend of Shel Talmy’s. Dave Davies did all those solos and Dave started that sound. The [version] of ‘You Really Got Me’ that was actually released was the third [recording]. There was a demo thing with Dave playing lead, a second cut which may have had Jimmy Page on it (and which Pye Records still have in their vaults) and a third which definitely had Dave on it. I know because I was standing right next to him when he played on it. And that’s the one which was released. Jimmy Page did play tambourine on our first album. It’s very good tambourine and he’s a very good musician. I’d use him if I was producing a recording.”

Ouch. Page wasn’t amused. “I never played tambourine on the damned records,” he fired back the following year. “I played guitar. But I didn’t play on ‘You Really Got Me’ and that’s what pisses [Ray] off.” "

I think Jimmy himself lays claim to Them's 'Baby Please Don't Go' - interesting hearing Mr Harrison's view on it. Billy seemed to be more of a subtle and sweet player than Page and that main lick just rips!

innerflight

Post by innerflight »

waveclipper wrote:^ I thought he only played tambo with da keenks?! :hihi:
:lol:

i knew "you really got me" was up for debate but thought the couple of acoustic tracks on the first album was pretty definite, but could be wrong

heres the other one -

psycho*daisies

Post by psycho*daisies »

waveclipper wrote:^ I thought he only played tambo with da keenks?! :hihi:
"Jimmy Page did play tambourine on our first album. It’s very good tambourine" :piss: :hihi:
Last edited by psycho*daisies on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
kelvinator60

Post by kelvinator60 »

I tend to believe that was not Billy Harrison on Baby Please Don't Go. It was WAY more advanced than Gloria. This is a lot like that Johnny Burnette Trio where Paul Burleson played on the NY recordings and when recording moved to Nashville he played rhythm guitar while Grady Martin took the lead. Paul B. for years talked about his tone on Train Kept a Rollin' when in fact it was Grady M. I think you have the same sort of thing going on here. One getting pushed aside by a studio pro and not really wanting to own up to it. But all this is just guessing on my part with regard to Them.

I think Page had very little to do with The Kinks as even he admits. If I were Ray and Dave I would be pissed about the whole thing too.
Bert Ohlsson

Post by Bert Ohlsson »

Gemma Thrush

Post by Gemma Thrush »

psycho*daisies wrote:Ok, well I stand corrected. I always thought the playing on that was WAY more deft and skilled sounding than any other thing Billy Harrison played on. Good to know (re; the Billy Harrison interview - i have that issue! that (excellent) mag is so densely packed with info - i guess i missed that...i'll have to go dig up that article again.
I was surprised as well. + that bloody article took me about 4 days to read...
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

Surprised at this one :badteeth: