Jimmy Page: Early Sessions

Post sounds and videos of bands you dig on, even your own.

Moderator: The Captain

Philip

Post by Philip »

"For your info Page is not on this record, he played blues harp on other Finn nos, never guitar. regards Mick Stannard(bass guitar Mckey Finn and the blue men)"

From comments section...

waveclipper

Re:

Post by waveclipper »

Philip wrote:"For your info Page is not on this record, he played blues harp on other Finn nos, never guitar. regards Mick Stannard(bass guitar Mckey Finn and the blue men)"
:hihi: - interesting find there! :tu:

I think this is another one Jimmy lays claim to himself? Gotta love Mr P for having probably thee most abstruse musical history of them all! :freak:

psycho*daisies

Re: Jimmy Page: Early Sessions

Post by psycho*daisies »

...Jimmy Page recently identified his presence on a 1965 recording by The Fenmen...
Tuesday, January 7, 2014
Lost Jimmy Page track surfaces

http://www.hennemusic.com/2014/01/led-z ... track.html

"One of the many tracks cut by Jimmy Page in his pre-Led Zeppelin days as a session man has surfaced on a television trailer for the BBC’s weather forecast.

Mojo reports “I’ve Got Everything You Need Babe” by British band The Fenmen was released in 1965 following the band’s split with frontman Bern Elliott.

Page, who estimates he recorded three sessions per day in 1964 and 1965, identified his presence on the track when he saw the trailer on television.

“I heard the track the other day while I was watching TV,” Page told Mojo last fall. “I thought, ‘Oh. That sound familiar.’ Then, all of a sudden there’s a solo that comes in and I go, ‘That is me!’ It’s something that I would have forgotten about had I not heard it again. In fact, if they hadn’t left the solo on the trailer, I may not have known I’d even played on that track.”

Page recalls playing on records by artists as diverse as The Kinks, The Who and Petula Clark.

“I did so many sessions and not all of them were big," says Page. “But I was on all of those big sessions with Tony Hatch and I did a string of records with Petula Clark that did really well. You know what? I think I might even have been on a Benny Hill track, that’s how varied things were!” he laughs, recalling sessions that took place prior to his joining The Yardbirds in the summer of 1966...”

The Fenmen - I've Got Everything You Need, Babe (1965)

Btw, 2 members of The Fenmen were later in The Pretty Things (John Povey & Wally Waller) Anyone interested in a full CD of Fenmen music (including this song) should consider picking up a disc released a few years ago on Ugly Things Records. It's called Sunstroke. http://www.ugly-things.com
Attachments
JP60s.jpg
JP60s.jpg (52.09 KiB) Viewed 5196 times
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

Heard this on the radio today, dude said JP played on it :dance:

’brutish in character but not thug like’
rafmax

Post by rafmax »

Is there an Episode II ? I don't understand the ending :hmm: :hihi:
Bert Ohlsson

Post by Bert Ohlsson »

LULU - Surprise, Surprise

"tough-as-nails Rolling Stones cover, featuring Jimmy Page (uncredited) on guitar"

HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

Just grabbed a copy of the Fleur de Lys comp "You've Got to Earn it" (on Acid Jazz Records) and was taken by this Page-related tale by Fleurs' drummer Keith Guster for the track "Wait for Me":

"It was intended to be the flipside for our debut single "Moondreams". Our producer that day at Regent Sound Studio was one Jimmy Page. Unfortunately for us,when the disc was released on Guy Fawkes Day 1965, we found that he had switched our effort for one of his own jazzy instrumentals. He still titled it "Wait for Me" but added his name as songwriter to get the songwriting credit! We were all horrified when we bought the single from our respective local record shops, only to find that we were not even on our own B side. Danny and Frank were particularly devastated and never forgave him for pulling that scam on us."

Oh, and it's not Page playing guitar on "Circles" - definitely Phil Sawyer.
psycho*daisies

Post by psycho*daisies »

Crrrrackin' Beat mover! (Little Jim strikes again!) :cthulhu2: (almost sounds like The B-52's based Rock Lobster on this. (1980))
Brian Diamond & The Cutters - Shout, Shake & Go! (1964)
Attachments
£££.png
£££.png (293.88 KiB) Viewed 5033 times
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
psycho*daisies

Post by psycho*daisies »

Brenda Lee - What'd I Say? (1964)

We break with our channel tradition of "videos only" to bring you this hard to find audio track. In 1964, Brenda Lee was in London at the invitation of the Queen of England. She sang "All the Way" at the Royal Variety Performance show. In search of an updated sound, she also met with Mickie Most who was the hot producer at the time. They chose "Is It True?" as the A-side of a single and Brenda picked "What'd I Say" as the B-side. She wanted to be the first female to cover Ray Charles controversial 1959 hit. "Is It True?" was top twenty on both sides of the Atlantic and earned a Gold Record. "What'd I Say" was a minor hit in some countries. Meanwhile, in the United States, the marketing geniuses at the evil record company decided to replace "What'd I Say" with "Just Behind The Rainbow" for the US release. Apparently, Brenda Lee was Little Miss Adult Contemporary to them and nothing so raw as this track could be allowed. As a result, "What'd I Say" was never released in the States and is still virtually unknown even to her fans here.

Track Info
Recorded at the Decca Studios at 165 Broadhurst Gardens, West Hampstead, North London on 17 August 1964 and released very quickly on 28 Aug 1964.
Map - https://www.google.com/maps/place/165...

Personnel: Arthur Greenslade (1923 –2003) (piano), Jimmy Page later of Led Zeppelin (guitar), Big Jim Sullivan (1941 - 2012) (guitar); Bobby Graham (1940 -- 2009) (drums), Alan Weighell (1922 –2002) (bass), Stan Barrett (percussion); Terry Johnson (sound engineer), Reg Guest (arranger), Mickie Most (born Michael Hayes 1938 -- 2003) (producer).

Bobby Graham recalled the session:
"Some acts stood out, either because they put so much into the recordings. ....... Brenda Lee really did perform. Mickie Most produced that record ('Is It True') at Decca, they wanted this English sound. John Carter and Kenny Lewis wrote the song, and also did backing vocals. Jimmy Page and Jim Sullivan were on guitar, Alan Weighell was on bass, Stan Barrett on percussion and myself on drums.The arranger was Reg Guest. For the B side, 'What I'd Say'. we were messing around, somebody started the lick, Brenda jumped in and Mickie Most said 'let's record that'. It was done in one take". Note: Graham is mistaken about 'What I'd Say' being a spur of the moment decision. Brenda herself says she wanted to do it and I can't imagine they would go into the session without a "B" side.

Availability
UK Import album - Ace CHCHD-1222 Queen Of Rock 'N' Roll

A session anecdote:
Mickie Most recalled that Brenda Lee was late getting to the studio. It turned out that the car sent to pick her up had broken down. Mickie worried that time was short for the usual amount of takes. His fears were allayed when Brenda arrived and ran through "Is It True?" a couple of times. Most told the NME reporter "it sounded like she had been singing it all her life!".

At three years old, Brenda Mae Tarpley needed to hear a song only once or twice in order to sing it back in perfect pitch and rhythm. This is according to her mother and older sister. Of course, the Nashville session players had grown used to this extraordinary facility and it was common for them to lay down four to six tracks in one 3 Hr session. When she recorded outside of Nashville, producers were always amazed at how few tries were needed for a Brenda Lee recording.

SG Barnard recollection:
I was lucky enough to be in the recording studio when Mickie Most produced this song for her. Jimmy Page's guitar sounds good as ever. Mickie insisted that the whole company joined in the choruses for 'What'd I Say'. Such amazing times! RIP Mickie, industry genius.
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
anemochore
Location: Outside of Suquamish at the bottem end of Hawkeye's trail next door to Nooshkum

Post by anemochore »

Well done Dave!
Awesome piece of music history
Don't make me assume my ultimate form