All the Young dudes: RIP George

Post sounds and videos of bands you dig on, even your own.

Moderator: The Captain

HorseyBoy

All the Young dudes: RIP George

Post by HorseyBoy »

Reading the news about Malcolm Young got me thinking about all the Young dudes, especially older brother George. Those of you not fortunate enough to be Australian probably wouldn't know just how important George Young and his writing/producing partner Harry Vanda were in Oz rock history. They did some incredible work.
First, the Easybeats:

After the Easybeats folded, they gave Stevie Wright a solo career, writing and producing killer tracks like these. Your life is not complete if you've never heard "Evie" and "Black Eyed Bruiser":

Then they produced all of AC/DCs early albums. And while they were at it, they had hits of their own as Flash and the Pan (this one's from 1977):

As for Angus and Malcolm, fire away…
Last edited by HorseyBoy on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
jreeves47

Re: All the Young dudes

Post by jreeves47 »

great stuff! thanks for sharing
waveclipper

Post by waveclipper »

Love me some Easybeats. Without a doubt one of the main 'stepping stone' bands for me toward the more esoteric and obscure 60s garage/psyche/freakbeat no hit wonders... :freak:

'Good Times' still reigns as my favourite Easybeats number, among many brilliant tracks. Must have been quite surreal to have one of the greatest singers (and ballsiest guitar players) in the world doing backing vocals for ya :smashed:

HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

^ Try to track down a copy of "Sorry: The Wretched Tale of Little Stevie Wright" by Jack Marx. Really good book but not a very pretty story. Much like Little Steve Marriott, Stevie Wright never met a person or narcotic he could say no to.
waveclipper

Post by waveclipper »

HorseyBoy wrote:^ Try to track down a copy of "Sorry: The Wretched Tale of Little Stevie Wright" by Jack Marx. Really good book but not a very pretty story. Much like Little Steve Marriott, Stevie Wright never met a person or narcotic he could say no to.
Ha! I like him already! :hihi:
HorseyBoy

Re: All the Young dudes: RIP George

Post by HorseyBoy »

This might need a separate post, but somehow I missed the news that George Young had died. What a career. What a contribution to music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS7uMy8z6i4
Philip

Post by Philip »

Ace footage inside Olympic Studios. :cool:

HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

^ Ace indeed!
And because the old link is dead, here's "Black Eyed Bruiser" again. One of the first songs I ever learned how to play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuY-EnoKfBg

Kills me every time.
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

Favourite George Young guitar-playing quote: "It's the stops what rocks." Seriously, without George, there'd be no Malcom, and where would the world be then?
psycho*daisies

Post by psycho*daisies »

RIP, George Young. What a force of nature! Love The Easybeats - their energy and great tunes. Didn't really know their story until i watched Friday On My Mind documentary. (really good, but could do without the young band tribute reverence bit. I do understand the filmmakers' motives).

It's remarkable that they are major touchstones in Australian Rock history now, being new immigrants (at the time) and total outsiders, orginally; from such humble beginnings and having to claw their way in.

Many faves, Women, She's So Fine, Wedding Ring, I'll Make You Happy, Sorry, Friday, and my latest favorite, For My Woman. So primitive, so raw...

If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...