Masters of Atlantis presents Time of the Last Persecution

Post sounds and videos of bands you dig on, even your own.

Moderator: The Captain

HorseyBoy

Masters of Atlantis presents Time of the Last Persecution

Post by HorseyBoy »

https://soundcloud.com/user-181791176/s ... on/s-1qe3w

Spam demo tracks alert!
I’ve been obsessed with Bill Fay’s “Time of the Last Persecution” since I first heard it many years ago. Great songs, great voice, great band, and the guitar playing by Ray Russell is sublime. And even though each song is fantastic on its own, it works best as a unified whole – something about the songs as a cycle and the way they were performed and captured makes it a truly singular, wonderful work of art. I hear something new to admire every time I listen to it, and I listen to it a lot.
Jamming with buddies over the years, working on songs and set lists, I’d pull out a Bill Fay song every now and then and say, “We should do this one.” So we’d work on “Omega Day” or “Plan D” and they always sounded pretty cool. But lately all I’ve wanted to play are Bill Fay songs, so I figured I might as well just give in, come up with arrangements for the whole album, start to finish, and get them down. So I did. Recorded the rhythm guitar and vocals through a Rode mic and did a bunch of overdubbed guitar tracks (with a couple of pedals, mostly a Mk I and a Mk IV) straight into GarageBand. Did some rough mixes and here they are.
The idea is to get out and play some shows under the Masters of Atlantis name, doing nothing but “Time of the Last Persecution” from go to woah. Originally I figured I’d need a rhythm section but now the plan is to play it all with a three-guitar and vocals line-up. I think it might work pretty well that way.
Whether or not anyone wants to see three dudes with guitars cover a relatively obscure 1971 Bill Fay album remains to be seen. :badteeth:
Soundcloud link up top will take you to the page (I couldn't figure out how to embed a whole playlist). If you've got some spare time and the ability to endure 14 rough demo tracks, give it a listen.
chankgeez

Re: Masters of Atlantis presents Time of the Last Persecutio

Post by chankgeez »

Yeah, Bill Fay's amazing.

Listening to this now, sounds fantastic! :tu:
"Kiev is a hell of a town." - Larry King
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

^ Thanks, chank! Glad you're liking it.
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

This is awesome man, only skimmed through but will give it a proper blast for sure :tu:
’brutish in character but not thug like’
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

^ Ta, inner! Forgot to point out almost all the guitar tracks were done with my Harvester, which has the ability to sound more like a piano than my other guitars. Jazzmaster and Firebird on a few of the leads when I needed more frets. Amp on all the rhythm tracks is my Airline.
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

Yes, you need to send to AP, sounds like it would be right up his street :party:
’brutish in character but not thug like’