Monolith Brass Bell Overdrive $250

Up and coming builder? Sell your creations here...

Moderator: The Captain

monolithfuzz

Monolith Brass Bell Overdrive $250

Post by monolithfuzz »

EDIT: Brass Bell #2 & #3 are completed & up for grabs. I'll post pics in the AM.

#1 SOLD SOLD (Thanks Ryan. A!)

The Brass Bell is my humble take on the classic 808 Overdrive topology. I like the FUNCTION of TS designs, but usually have the same general gripes that a lot of other guitarists have: too nasal when the gain is increased and too much low end is lost.

In experimenting with the circuit, I decided to make a simple mid-gain overdrive that worked with my British-voiced amps and speakers. By dropping the frequency of the mid hump (and smoothing it out a touch) and increasing the low frequency content a little, I feel like I’ve achieved that goal. The Brass Bell is perfect for mild “verge of breakup” tones, but can achieve some thicker, fuller overdriven tones with a touch of hair as the gain (and diode clipping) is increased. The Brass Bell is NOT intended to produce the clean boost tones of an 808 with the gain set low, and will always have just a touch of clipping in the signal even at lowest settings. That being said, the mild gain sound of the Brass Bell on low drive settings provides a clear & warm grit that is perfect for adding a little weight to single coil Strats & Teles.

- RC4558P OPAMP
- NOS Carbon comp resistors in the signal path
- NOS Philips Tropical Fish capacitors
- Asymmetrical clipping arrangement using two NOS Telefunken OA128 silicon and one NOS AAZ10 germanium diodes
- Hybrid Eyelet / PCB construction built on heavy G10 board with 2 ounce copper traces
- Deep Transparent Brown powder coat finish over a lightly distressed steel case
- Etched Copper graphics
- Brass stand-off screws for PCB and graphics badge
- Tue Bypass 3PDT switching with Orange LED

$250 Shipped & PP’ed in the CONUSA. For those outside of the US (or in Hawaii or Alaska) please drop me an email for shipping cost quotes.

I’ll be building two more of these this week (same finish, but without the distressed case), so if you are interested feel free to drop me an email at monolithfuzz@gmail.com . With my current situation, I don’t have as much time to dedicate to building as I used to, but I hope to build a few boxes here & there for fun and post them here when I can.
Last edited by monolithfuzz on Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
superslidetail

Re: Monolith Brass Bell Overdrive $250

Post by superslidetail »

Whoa... :shocked: :freakout:
Orange Haze...it ain't Purple no more...
daCod

Post by daCod »

goddammmm mike! that is drop dead gorgeous. an overdrive i would be proud to own!
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
monolithfuzz

Re:

Post by monolithfuzz »

daCod wrote:goddammmm mike! that is drop dead gorgeous. an overdrive i would be proud to own!
Thanks for the props, guys! These are a labor of love, and I was really happy with the finish I got. (Secret powder coating ninja skills :badteeth: )
duaner58

Post by duaner58 »

PM'd!
chankgeez

Post by chankgeez »

Looks amazing. :rainbow2: Can't wait to hear how it sounds. :coffee:
"Kiev is a hell of a town." - Larry King
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

Shit hot man :drool2:
’brutish in character but not thug like’
monolithfuzz

Post by monolithfuzz »

Thanks a ton everyone. This one is sold, but drop me an email or PM if you're interested in the other 2 I'm working on. :cheers:
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Damn! What a beaut! Interested in a trade or two perhaps?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
monolithfuzz

Post by monolithfuzz »

redeyeflight wrote:Damn! What a beaut! Interested in a trade or two perhaps?
Redeye, I've really got to stick to selling the remaining two from this run since I need $ for some upcoming builds ;)
I'll probably be in better shape to do a trade or two on the next batch, though. Drop me a PM or email and we can work something out...

You know me: addicted to the fuzz just like the rest of you shifty bastards :crackjam: