Eldritch Electronics OLD ONE... VIDEO now

Up and coming builder? Sell your creations here...

Moderator: The Captain

i love sharin foo

Eldritch Electronics OLD ONE... VIDEO now

Post by i love sharin foo »

What I have here is the second Eldritch Electronics build, which I have called OLD ONE primarily as a nod to the great H.P. Lovecraft, but also as a descriptor of the circuit itself in regards to the tone of the Kraken. I started with a Muff Fuzz circuit on the breadboard and went off from there. I've increased the gain a fucking LOT, added a bias control on the second tranny, tuned for maximum lowend presence, balanced highend, and increased volume, etc. It doesn't resemble what it was any longer. My singular goal was to be a DOOM MACHINE and pick up where the Kraken left off. I wanted a USEABLE pedal that again, like the Kraken, can cover a lot of ground. It's not a super, mondo, extreme, use for a couple bars per set pedal that you can't use often. It covers a lot of ground. The tone is not as smooth as a Kraken. It is more grating and slightly crumbly. The attack has more heft to it.. less classic I'd say. It does as well chording as it does on single notes. The dynamics are still there as well. Hit it harder and it reacts. It is heavy as shit.. the lows are huge. Standing 6 feet from my 4x12 cabs I can feel the pulsing in my chest on the lower strings. But the tone is still balanced and not mush. I spent a lot of time tuning the input and output caps on this. The tone is crusty and ragged, much less refined than the Kraken. I also spent time ensuring it would sustain. I do not like a gated, sputtering pedal. This will sustain as long as you need it to and seamlessly meld into feedback. I have been stacking one with a Kraken and it is a killer sound. One fills in what the other lacks and creates a nearly impenetrable wall of doom :hihi: I am aiming to get a video up by the weekend if all goes to plan. Selling price is set to be $250 plus $10 shipping to the USA. Ready to ship, RIGHT NOW.

The controls:
Oblivion- essentially volume.. I start full on and roll back if needed
Strangle- bias on second transistor.. I start full up (which will be squelchy and slightly gated), hit a chord, then roll back just slightly until the tone blooms and opens up. This will give maximum presence. Down low will give a more smooth, less intense tone.
Density- crude gain control. With as much gain as the circuit has, this really acts more as a body control.. down low yields more air and space.. up high focuses more gain into the high end a little more. It is not a night and day difference, more subtle. Some set ups will yield more effect than others.

The parts:
Hammond 1590DD
Dakaware knobs in oxblood (Klon Centaur style)
Switchcraft jacks
Alpha pots and 3PDT switch
hand staked turret board (5mm)
hand drawn, hand colored, hand laid graphics, over metallic paint
flush LED & DC jack standard (negative ground, daisy chain, no problem)
NOS germanium transitors
Tropical fish/ mustard caps
carbon comp resistors
germanium diodes
big rubber feet bolted on

Last edited by i love sharin foo on Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
phidias

Re: Eldritch Electronics OLD ONE

Post by phidias »

Wow! Nice build. :crackjam:
I Love Rock'n'Roll - Compression Kills The Music - Never Put Off Until Tomorrow What You Can Buy Today!
daCod

Post by daCod »

epic shit is epic :stomper:
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
arem

Post by arem »

That looks and sounds awesome...
Average fucks given per hour = 0
dronevil

Post by dronevil »

I'm so happy I had the inside scoop and scored #3. :tu:
"Only analog is real. It's still actual magnetism; a tangible substance. Digital is theoretical; it's data."

- Geoff Evans of Asunder
i love sharin foo

I have a quick and dirty video that I am in the process of uploading to youtube right now. I just have a laptop so I don't know for sure how much lowend you will be able to hear, but you can get a good idea of it based on how the camera vibrates and puts the picture out of focus with every one I hit :hihi: You can also hear random shit in my basement rattling and vibrating too hehe. Any metallic pinging that can be heard is a ventilation duct in the ceiling :badteeth:

Also, I just wanted to say THANK you to everyone that got in on this first batch and also everyone that has supported me with all the Krakens I have sold over the last couple years. I started with no ambitions really... just to try to make a heavy ass Ge doom machine for myself and a friend.. I had no idea so many people would dig it and want one too. They're all over the world by now, making heavy music, making me proud. So again.. THANK YOU GUYS!
Turkish

Post by Turkish »

Definitely looking forward to the vid. The Old One looks killer.
"The Meathead is supposed to break things" -The Captain
i love sharin foo

Okay, video is up. Remember.. This was done with a digital camera hehe.

Last edited by i love sharin foo on Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
daCod

Post by daCod »

hows the clean up?

:teeth2:

lots of doom-vibrations on tap. your poor fish. wonder how it sounds in their tank!

if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
doom

Post by doom »

PM sent! Very promising, I love how the camera tries to catch up on the bass :hihi:
doom.