Eldrich Electronics Colossus

Up and coming builder? Sell your creations here...

Moderator: The Captain

i love sharin foo

Eldrich Electronics Colossus

Post by i love sharin foo »

Okay, I have a few of these finished up and ready to go. I don't particularly enjoy the building aspect of this one, so I most likely won't be building more. I much prefer working on turret boards and terminal strips.

The circuit started as a Civil War BMP but has been worked over quite a bit. It is NOT meant to be a refinement on that particular tone.. instead it has been pushed as far as I was able toward making the heaviest BMP I possibly could. The tone is more open and less saturated than the starting point. It is more gravel-y and is not particularly smooth. Nasty was the goal. The lowend output is huge and the treble is still present, but never thin and biting. The tone control is now useable full sweep. This is basically a BMP that is tuned for maximum lowend and a more open tone that is more rugged and harsh. David Gilmore tones this is not :badteeth:

I used all the regular parts:
Hammond enclosures
Alpha full size pots
Switchcraft jacks
Dakaware phenolic knobs
carbon comps

I've changed the coupling caps, swapped in BC109Cs, worked the clipping sections, and tuned the tone stack, among other things. The ones for sale all have green interiors and light blue Hammertone finishes. All tuning/ testing was done with a pair of SGs tuned to A and B into a Green Classic 120 & an old Orange OD120 through a bunch of Orange cabs. Price is $250 +$15 shipping.
dronevil

Re: Eldrich Electronics Colossus

Post by dronevil »

:tu: :dance: :cthulhu:
"Only analog is real. It's still actual magnetism; a tangible substance. Digital is theoretical; it's data."

- Geoff Evans of Asunder
kosta

Post by kosta »

:captain:

How would you compare these to Krakens and Old Ones? (Old One has been my go-to bass fuzz in my band for the last two years!)
i love sharin foo

kosta wrote::captain:

How would you compare these to Krakens and Old Ones? (Old One has been my go-to bass fuzz in my band for the last two years!)
Glad you're still digging the Old One!! It's a little rougher and less saturated than the Old One circuit. More open but heavier and fatter. The lowend response is greater but with the tone control you can dial in a lot more tones overall for better versatility. Old One has a limited sweep where it sounds "right". Colossus, even with this tune, has way more scope. Lower gain settings have impressed me a lot, too. I wanted to get a video up, but honestly, with the lowend it has, I just can't capture it using an iPhone or the digital camera. I sold all my recording gear several years ago. Most basic description I think would be in between the Kraken and Old One as far as texture and openness, but with more options and versatility. I'm real pleased with them. It took a lot to get to where I was happy.
kosta

Post by kosta »

Sounds great! PM'd.
stoneapart

Post by stoneapart »

New Eldrich?! :drool2: :drool2: :drool2: :drool2: :drool2: :drool2:
i love sharin foo

stoneapart wrote:New Eldrich?! :drool2: :drool2: :drool2: :drool2: :drool2: :drool2:
Well, kind of..

I built two about a year or so ago and never got around to doing any more. I spent a LOT more time retuning to where I felt they were a bit less extreme but more useable and here they are. These ones all sold real fast, but I could be persuaded to cobble together a few more I figure :hihi: . I have to say, I am really surprised at the massive fucking (usable) lowend they have. Seems like a lot of really bottom heavy stuff turns out to be really compressed and stiff, but I must've done something right because these are not. I'm real pleased. Thus the one I kept for myself hehe. I never noticed till way after the fact but my personal Kraken and Old One are both #5s, so I made sure I kept Colossus #5. If only I could go back in time and keep #6#6#6 :doh:
kosta

Post by kosta »

Just had a little go on mine, and the low-end is indeed M A S S I V E , even playing a Jazzmaster in standard tuning. Can't wait to get it to practice and play some actual bass through it.

Great stuff Justin!
stoneapart

Post by stoneapart »

kosta wrote:Just had a little go on mine, and the low-end is indeed M A S S I V E , even playing a Jazzmaster in standard tuning. Can't wait to get it to practice and play some actual bass through it.

Great stuff Justin!
Any chance that you might be able to record a clip or a vid of your new toy? I'd love to hear this new Eldritch masterpiece in action :crackjam:
stoneapart

Post by stoneapart »

Any reviews of the Colossus yet? :marx: