The Unofficial Fuzz Sound Pedal Tour

High gain germanium bliss manifest in three dimensional reality.

Moderator: The Captain

Philip

Re: Fuzz Sound MK III #001's Magical Pedal Tour!

Post by Philip »

1bottlerocket wrote:That's great you're doing that Donovan.
A very great thing!! :freakout:
i love sharin foo

Post by i love sharin foo »

Fuzz Sound 001 has just departed Pennsylvania today!
Braden

Post by Braden »

i love sharin foo wrote:Fuzz Sound 001 has just departed Pennsylvania today!
I bet that was a hard package to ship!
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Just a Thought..........

Wouldn't it be cool, if everywhere the pedal went, a cool sticker with the name of that state was aquired.

Either placed on the pedal by the user, or, placed in the box for sickle to place on once the tour is finished.

Once the tour is complete, Hold an auction for a charity of choice

A fuzz sound covered in the names of all the places it has been.....

Just a Thought....
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

or maybe the shipping labels cut up and placed on the pedal. Then clear coat the pedal.

I don't know....

It just seems so cool that this one pedal is seeing the world
i love sharin foo

Post by i love sharin foo »

It's traveling with an official sign in sheet right now :hihi:
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

What about the new banner!? :badteeth:
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
kb892

Post by kb892 »

001 has now been handed off to it's next victim. i've sat down to do a little write up on it several times and keep coming up at a loss for words! So, maybe a pic first....
bros.JPG
bros.JPG (378.65 KiB) Viewed 5491 times
ok, that's better :badteeth:

So I got this thing not so smartly thinking it would be much like my beloved D*A*M MKIII from the old custom shop as is pictured above. Wrong, and it took a while to get over this expectation because the two are obviously related but in the end two completely different beasts. The old MKIII is very single purposed ripping upper midrange nasty yet smooth biting with sing tone bender oldtime fuzz fun that almost sounds like a MKII with a wah in front of it. It's a great great fuzz but it's obviously a reproduction of a vintage piece of gear. The Fuzz Sound MKIII is really it's own fuzz for lack of a better way to say it. I tend to play Les Pauls but this things really had me using my Tele and, for the first time in a long time, my old Strat. With the tele running the bridge pickup and the sustain set low this thing sounds very sax like and maybe that's what Dave means when he describes it as organic. It really has a woody, throuty kind of quality and almost seems to breath. Much more ability to be subtle than a MKII or MKIII. With the sustain set low the fuzz gets close to a MK1.5ish fuzzfacish kind of quality that I wasn't expecting from a three knob TB at all. At these lower settings the tone control came in handy turned ccw to the treble side. Two big differences in control between the Fuzz Sound and the my old MKIII are the range and usefullness. On the old MKIII the range of the fuzz control is quite narrow and the tone control is almost too wide in that the high treble is really crazy sizzle and the low side is pretty muffled. On the Fuzz Sound you have a sustain control that starts out with a low gain fuzzface level of fuzz that stays pretty round all the way up to a ripping tone bender snarl that's fully saturated and can get really cutting depending on the tone setting. The tone control on the Fuzz Sound is really usable all the way around depending on what you want to do. About the only thing it won't do is the thin and spitty sounds of say a MKI or b/fuzzaround with the timbre & sustain set really low... so, it's not perfect :wink2:. The last comparison I'll make between the two is volume. The old MKIII is, by design, limited in volume. The Fuzz Sound is not, not at all, it's really loud :shocked2:. That together with it's ability to bring the saturation down a bit more than a MKII or III (or MKI for that matter) make it really useful in various amp settings... high output/low saturation into already cooking amp mixed with this pedal's ability to retain a lot of bottom end means huge sound, really huge. That's how I described it to p*d "huge in every way" even the box it came in was huge for a fuzz pedal.

So really all that aside, what's this pedal like? :hihi: it's not like anything I've got. It's generally smooth and throuty and more focused in the lower midrange than other tone bender type pedals but if you dig in it really barks like a good MKII. It can also sing with a huge round woman tone when using the bridge pickup of even a tele, in fact my favorite guitar with this pedal is a tele followed by my ric 330 and then the strat mainly because you could get so many tones from those guitars compared to using my usual les pauls though they sound great with it too (might just be a single coil phase 'm going thru). At high gain settings it's very aggressive but in a refined way that does border on distortion. Very "modern 70's" kind of thing going on. I say modern 70's because one thing that makes this pedal different from all the vintage style pedals I've used is the way it retains low end and keeps this tight lower mid thing even with the tone rolled ccw. As far as amps go, it sounded great with anything I used and for various reasons. The tone control on the Fuzz Sound worked well to compensate for brighter or darker amp settings and also worked well as either the main fuzz with a clean amp or the overdriver of an amp that was about to break. Truly earns the name professional in my opinion... maybe too pro in that it doesn't really do the lofi thin rasp of a "cheesy" fuzz but hey, nobody's prefect. :badteeth:

So yeah, I think Dave's really made his mark with this one (as if he hadn't already). It's original and obviously a D*A*M pedal but is still within the tone bender family enough so that you could maybe say Dave has designed the MVI? I don't know about that but I do know I can hardly wait to get one full time.
Braden

Post by Braden »

Great review! Given all the reviews and descriptions so far it really sounds like Dave has designed something very special here.

I also must say that your custom MKIII is so gorgeous looking!
Cado

Post by Cado »

WOW! :crackjam: Very infromative KB, this could very well be the best fuzz ever. :badlove: