D*A*M Pedal Comparisons

Ask a question...get some answers

Moderator: The Captain

mrpicard

D*A*M Pedal Comparisons

Post by mrpicard »

People are always asking "what is that D*A*M pedal sound like or compare too". Therefore, over the coming months I will see if I can create a repository of what people think is an answer to this question. The look and content of this thread will evolve so what you see now is merely a "draft" so that I can at least collate some of this information. The first review is an excellent one provided by psycho*daisies.

Mosrite FUZZrite, D*A*M 1965, D*A*M MK I.5, Vox MKII, D*A*M MKII, & Gary Hurst MKII (psycho*daisies)
The Captain asked me to check out my '67 Mosrite FUZZrite (germanium) to see "how easily it slurs into feedback with the Depth (fuzz attack) all the way up." I compared it to 5 other pedals that he's very familiar with being the D*A*M 1965, D*A*M MK I.5, Vox MKII, D*A*M MKII, & Gary Hurst MKII. Here are my comments on that comparison. I used an old Fender Duo Sonic (single coil strat type pickups, they're not super hot) into Supro Thunderbolt 1x15 (set at about 9 or 10 O'clock probably).

I hooked up 6 pedals in a row being the Mosrite FUZZrite, D*A*M 1965, D*A*M MK I.5, Vox MKII, D*A*M MKII, & Gary Hurst MKII. I pretty much had the "Level" and "Attack" on highest setting for all these (except the D*A*M 1965, which had to be set full-up on the left dial and only about 12 O'clock up on the right in order to protect my hearing!). The germanium Mosrite FUZZrite was the hottest of them all. It would feedback without having to hold the headstock to the amp, not uncontrollably though. It was sweet feedback heaven! Bright, clear & harmonic but still buzzy and old school, not modern at all. At the same amp and guitar settings, the MKII's turned over into feedback with a just a bit of coaxing, because they're "sustain-ier", the feedback sang more and continued. Wow, cool! When holding a bending note the MKII's really get that Hendrix Experience/Stooges' "No Fun" thing, where it almost sounds like it's backwards guitar.."heavy metal falling from the sky" indeed! They all basically got that effect, but the FUZZrite & MKII's sang longer and continued, especially the FUZZrite & Gary Hurst MKII). The least likely to feedback and sing were the D*A*M 1965 and D*A*M MKI.5. The Gary Hurst MKII was very gainy, sang nicely into feedback-land and did this weird "pulse" kind of clipping thing when the feedback turned over, whereas the Vox MKII & D*A*M MKII were smoother & smokier. The Hurst was 2nd hottest behind the FUZZrite.

In summary, the Mosrite FUZZrite is way hotter and brighter than the others. The D*A*M 1965 seems almost dark in comparison!
psycho*daisies

Re: D*A*M Pedal Comparisons

Post by psycho*daisies »

cheers David... :cheers:

I forgot all about that!

Huh, those results are interesting.... :hmm:

No doubt the FUZZrite is super brite, but not sure if i'd exactly call the 1965 "dark" :shocked2:
other than the darkness of EVIL that emanates from it! :twisted:

I think i need to do the whole test again, this time with the D*A*M FUZZrong (which i don't think i had yet)
adding a silicon Mosrite FUZZrite, and perhaps some others to the mix (D*A*M Fuzzaround, NKT-275 Fuzz Face, Maestro FZ-1S, Fuzz Master, Shin-Ei etc..)
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
mrpicard

Post by mrpicard »

psycho*daisies wrote:cheers David... :cheers:

I forgot all about that!

Huh, those results are interesting.... :hmm:

No doubt the FUZZrite is super brite, but not sure if i'd exactly call the 1965 "dark" :shocked2:
other than the darkness of EVIL that emanates from it! :twisted:

I think i need to do the whole test again, this time with the D*A*M FUZZrong (which i don't think i had yet)
adding a silicon Mosrite FUZZrite, and perhaps some others to the mix (D*A*M Fuzzaround, NKT-275 Fuzz Face, Maestro FZ-1S, Fuzz Master, Shin-Ei etc..)
Hey, that sounds excellent!! If you do another I will post it to the top so that it is easy to find :-)
the_original_mr_nice

Post by the_original_mr_nice »

Those are some excellent and well informed comments from PD. I'd be fairly hopeless with this as firstly if something is so good I describe it in abstract terms and with colours and shapes as metaphors and secondly.... well nothing compares to D*A*M so if you have a chance to buy then don't say no !
It's not about working a D*A*M effect into your sound but instead it's about freeing your mind and seeing where the sound will take you :-D