Volume Pedal with D*A*M Fuzz

Ask a question...get some answers

Moderator: The Captain

JVania

Volume Pedal with D*A*M Fuzz

Post by JVania »

Hey I wanted to start using a volume pedal in front of my D*A*M pedals as a way to roll back my volume (go figure right). I have had an ernie ball jr which I felt took a lot of my punch away. A lot of people claim that the way to fix that is to use a buffered volume pedal.....but then supposedly any buffer in front of fuzz hurts the sound of fuzz.... OOF!

What the fuck do I do?
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

Put it after?
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
DucRyder

Post by DucRyder »

It can be tough depending on the type of guitar yo play but start learning to use the guitars volume knob.
"...Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…" H.S.T.
JVania

Re:

Post by JVania »

DucRyder wrote:It can be tough depending on the type of guitar yo play but start learning to use the guitars volume knob.
I know I hate the placement of the volume knob on my jazzmaster I always end up turning the tone knob :doh:

Any other ideas?

Supposedly if you put it after your fuzz it won't work like rolling your volume back. I know that the Drag n Fly claims to work well with old wahs (buffered) so maybe all D*A*M pedals would work with a buffered Volume pedal??? (I know that is a huge leap in logic but hey I can dream right?)
DucRyder

Post by DucRyder »

Switch the pots around so the volume knob is where the tone was. Telecaster players spin the whole plate around to achieve this same effect.
"...Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…" H.S.T.
Creepyfingers

Re:

Post by Creepyfingers »

devnulljp wrote:Put it after?
Yeah why not put it after?

--Brad
JVania

Re: Re:

Post by JVania »

Creepyfingers wrote:
devnulljp wrote:Put it after?
Yeah why not put it after?

--Brad
I had heard that it won't effect the fuzz like rolling the guitars volume. It will bring the volume up and down but the fuzz will be at full bore instead of getting that sweetness... Is that wrong?
jimi_dylan

Post by jimi_dylan »

My understanding is that, besides the electronics in its guts and the settings on its knobs, the tone of a fuzz is made by how much guitar volume hits the fuzz pedal. If you put a volume pedal before, it will make louder or softer whatever sound is being sent from your guitar. I don't think this would be equivalent to the volume knob on your guitar because that directly controls the pickups (right?). Regardless, turn up the volume using the pedal to turn up the amount of guitar signal hitting the fuzz. This will alter the tone caused by the fuzz (as long as the volume pedal is unbuffered). So, if you put it before volume and tone caused by the fuzz change. If you put it after, the volume coming from the fuzz changes and so does the signal level hitting your amp (or whatever comes next on your pedal board).