D*A*M pedals and the amps they love to hate.

Ask a question...get some answers

Moderator: The Captain

NewarkWilder

D*A*M pedals and the amps they love to hate.

Post by NewarkWilder »

And by hate, I mean love.

So I'm in a pretty fun period here, just picked up a Meathead, my first D*A*M pedal and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. But it just so happens I'm also on the hunt for a new amp. So I'm curious as to what kind of rigs you guys are running and how you feel your D*A*M fuzzy goodness plays along with 'em.

I play a mix of experimental/psych/noise/post-rock/labels suck blah blah... My songs are generally a mix of reverb heavy cleans building into heavy distortion/fuzz, so I need those clean tones but also need to be able to get as heavy as I can. I figure a Meathead is a good step in that direction. I'm using a Traynor YCV50-Watt Blue right now, btw. Decent value tube amp but I'm looking to take the step up to what will hopefully be my true workhorse/recording amp for years to come.

So will a good Fender cut it? Would a Vox? I do have a sort of guilty-pleasure side that likes to write poppy indie stuff that screams out for Vox but I wonder if it'd play nice with a MH, I have my doubts.

Is there a solid inbetween candidate I might be overlooking? I'm pretty hip to pedals--but I'm not so knowledgeable about amps.

Any info/insight here would be most appreciated! Especially if anyone can speak directly to the MH & Vox combo.

Thanks folks!! :cheers:
squarewave

Re: D*A*M pedals and the amps they love to hate.

Post by squarewave »

My old fender twin loves all boxes period. My Orange did not like my MK11 got on well with my Red Rooster, the Orange had to go.
I'm looking to get a Marshall Blues breaker, they take boxes well, I don't know about vox, never tried them ( i know, I know) but others here are mad for them.
Insta @drewcifer01 @lavafangs @andrew_sings_solo
zerorez

Post by zerorez »

Hi Mike, glad to have you on board here, hope the Fetto you picked up from me a couple of months ago is working out good for you.

I run a JTM45 Combo w/greenbacks, it is a very pedal loving amp, D*A*M or others all work well

Cheers
Joe
:cheers:
NewarkWilder

Post by NewarkWilder »

squarewave wrote:My old fender twin loves all boxes period. My Orange did not like my MK11 got on well with my Red Rooster, the Orange had to go.
I'm looking to get a Marshall Blues breaker, they take boxes well, I don't know about vox, never tried them ( i know, I know) but others here are mad for them.
cool, thanks, a Twin is definitely on the short list. My local music shop has a '68 Super Reverb for a ridiculously low price too that I'm pretty close to jumping on too.

I'll check out the Blues Breaker--Hopefully I can find one locally to play and check out how clean the cleans are. Heh.

thanks much!

all the info I can get will be taken to heart, so keep it comin' folks!! thanks!!
NewarkWilder

Post by NewarkWilder »

jkranitz wrote:Hi Mike, glad to have you on board here, hope the Fetto you picked up from me a couple of months ago is working out good for you.

I run a JTM45 Combo w/greenbacks, it is a very pedal loving amp, D*A*M or others all work well

Cheers
Joe
:cheers:
Joe! Heya bud. Love my Fetto. Absolutely love it. Its my go-to "screaming lead solo" pedal, heh.

Hrrrrmmm. You guys are making me have serious second thoughts about Marshall, I hadn't really been thinking it'd be the right fit, but I guess if you want heavy it doesn't get much heavier. Gonna have to go on some serious recon missions here! :headbanger:
aaland_brian

Post by aaland_brian »

I have a couple amps, but the one that likes pedals the most is my Mesa lonestar special 4x10 combo. I put my fuzzaround in front and crank the master and this amp sounds like it will blow up. I like any amp set pretty clean, but some amps like my orange ad30tc don't seem to like all my fuzzes, it does like my meathead though.
I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his [sic] creatures, or has a will of the type of which we are conscious ourselves. Albert Einstein
CONAN
You cajn't bajn me

Post by CONAN »

MATAMP - Sound City - Selmer - Simms Watts

All love the pedal, I have experience of each of them.
Cado

Post by Cado »

I've retired my Mesas & began fired up my old Laney AOR 50 as an interem single channel amp while I gater the $$$ for a Metropoulos. If your thinking Marshall, seriouly check these out. www.metroamp.com :badlove: :badlove: :badlove: As of now, the DAMs sound incredible through the Laney, better than through any other amp I've heard them through (over a half dozen at this point) :dance:
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

The DAM boxes that I have sound best with my Marshall, but also real good with the Traynor YBA1. They work well with my Earth Sound Research Fender clone, but not as good as the Marshall..
What do you want from life
An Indian guru
to show you the inner light?
NewarkWilder

Post by NewarkWilder »

Well a strange thing happened today... Some of you may have gotten an email today, same email I got, a 20% off coupon from Sam Ash (which happens to be my only local music store) valid TODAY only... So I went in expecting to just pick up something simple for a nice little discount... but what did I find?

A '68 Super Reverb for $900!

Its one of the '68 1/2s as they are sometimes known, silverface but with blackface circuitry. Looks like hell, needs new caps and tubes, a definite fixer-upper... but w/ the 20% off coupon I walked outta there with a truly awesome vintage amp for about $730.

SCORE!!!!!

I have no idea if its gonna be the ideal amp for, say, a Meathead, but its a hell of an amp for a hell of a deal. I'm still kind of floating around in this "omg amp score!!!" bliss. hah.

I didn't think I'd have a new amp till January at least, and it may take that long to get all the work done on this one i'm gonna do, but I'm freaking excited. And if for some reason when I'm done restoring it if I'm not happy with it I can flip it for 2k easy. I doubt thats gonna happen though.

Wooooooo! :cheers:

:hyper: :dance: :hyper: