Bias on the Super Bee

Germanium fuzz tones for old school heavy minds.

Moderator: The Captain

anemochore
Location: Outside of Suquamish at the bottem end of Hawkeye's trail next door to Nooshkum

Bias on the Super Bee

Post by anemochore »

So now I have a Super Bee and it has much more bottom end than my D*A*M Sola Sound. The Bee works well with my Marshall MKII and sounds great when placed after my Morley Wah. But when used with my Vox AC30 it has too much (I like to use the normal channel, which has no EQ, for my other pedals and the Top Boost for overdriving the amp). Can I roll off some bass by adjusting the bias? I would never do this without consulting someone with more experience.
Last edited by anemochore on Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't make me assume my ultimate form
Funky Druid

Post by Funky Druid »

I suggest do not touch the bias trimpot inside.
mjkk

Post by mjkk »

I would suguest you get a 1966, Sola/D*A*M MK 1.5 or a D*A*M TB-00 :) Those would help you to achieve the tones you are looking for. Or through an AC30 just crank it and use a Red Rooster and adjust the gain and tone knob to taste. Good luck on your tone hunt, and you will get used to that low end on the bee and will be able to start using that to your advantage. Try it through a Marshall and let her rip.
"Yes I remember a brave guy named Roger dancing around musicians and cleaning their shoes. Occasionally we gave him our broken pedals for repair to get peace for some hours."
tigerdriver

Post by tigerdriver »

It is what it is... the bass can certainly be tamed via amp EQ, but if you really have to keep using that channel, the gold 1.5 is the halfway point between the Sola MKII and the Bee.
anemochore
Location: Outside of Suquamish at the bottem end of Hawkeye's trail next door to Nooshkum

Post by anemochore »

Thanks Everyone,
That is exactly what I wanted to find out. I'll be using it as intended. It's unique in it's own way. I can roll off the bass if needed by using it in the Top Boost channel of the VOX. Also, no pedal I have sounds as good as the Super Bee placed after the wah
The more traditional MKI and MK1.5 ARE on my must have list.
The Captain

Re: Bias on the Super Bee

Post by The Captain »

Nah, the bias will not affect the EQ of the pedal at all. The Bee is kinda more intended for kicking down doors, so to speak. A traditionally voiced Tone Bender would play much more nicely with the Vox. :tu:
anemochore

Post by anemochore »

The Captain wrote:Nah, the bias will not affect the EQ of the pedal at all. The Bee is kinda more intended for kicking down doors, so to speak. A traditionally voiced Tone Bender would play much more nicely with the Vox. :tu:
YES! I primarily use my MKII in the Vox and like mjkk says, the Super Bee rips in the Marshall. Playing with it at this moment! Guess I'm going to have to haul both amps on stage.
Fuzzz

Post by Fuzzz »

So I have been trying out my new Bee today - a Psycho Lime with OC76 and OC71 (very pleased with it! :freakout: ) anyway, its way louder than my other SB which is one of the Starlight Red higher gain OC42 and OC78d ones.. :hmm:

I measured the bias on Q2 - the Lime Bee was reading 6.01 volts (seems spot on according to what I found on here) but the Red Bee is only biased at 5.01v - so that explains the volume diff...

I replaced the batteries before hand and measured them etc so make sure they were 9v+

So, is that how its meant to be or is it supposed to be nearer the 6v mark? ( It sounds awesome but just surprised at the vol difference )

Anyone else had this?
Logic should not interfere with determination
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

The bias does drastically alter the output level and we do set them up differently for the different types of transistor set-ups we have used. The lower bias will be smoother and a little more rounded off on the edges, if that makes sense, kinda softer almost. You can pump up 'ole red to the 6V level on the bias but it may possibly cause some gating. Some folk dig that, some don't, so worth a try if you are needing more volume.

Regardless of the transistors and bias set-up a Bee will always have plenty of volume on tap. It's only when one starts to compare different Bee's that the differances becomes apparent. I kinda like that myself. Makes each batch it's own thing and also means there is a Bee for every occasion :hihi:
Fuzzz

Post by Fuzzz »

Thanks for taking the time to reply to this Captain! :cheers:

II think I will probably leave it be, as it sounds incredible the way it is and I won't be using them side by side anyway so the difference won't matter..

Between the Super Bee, Rooster and Drag N Fly I have all bases covered now! :party:

And I really like the idea of 'A Bee for every occasion! :freakout:
Logic should not interfere with determination