How I use fuzz (a tutorial) with video... (D*A*M Sola MKII)

D*A*M Audio/Video Clips

Moderator: The Captain

Banwell

Post by Banwell »

its a interesting discussion. I think that over time things have changed a lot. It used to be that all guitarist craved/demanded full control from the volume and tone controls. Then amp and pedal builders wanted to make good tone more accessible to your average joe. So they just assumed that guitars were run at full bore and amps and pedals were made to always sound good (but in a l'imited' way). Some builder still offer a full ranged products which work well for people with an educated ear and good idea of whats going on. The current market place is mixed up with full range products (pickups/amps and pedals) and those that sound good a certain applications. Most of the stuff you use is full range and therefore requires careful tweaking to get the best out of them and offer a vastly superior range of sounds.
imguitardan

Re: Re:

Post by imguitardan »

Philip wrote:
imguitardan wrote:Respectfully Philip, I've never known that to be the case
This doesn't surprise me. :smashed:
Your knack for thorough and descriptive posts is impressive.
New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.

Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
FuzzPauper

Post by FuzzPauper »

+1^^^^^

~movr
The juice is worth the squeeze.

http://www.sydsguitars.com
Philip

Post by Philip »

:oldlol:
jerms

Re: How I use fuzz (a tutorial) with video... (D*A*M Sola M

Post by jerms »

weaker pickups also bring up the apparent output volume of your fuzz..... they provide a much greater difference between the bypassed signal and the full output from a fuzz... with hotter pickups you won't hear as much of a jump in level when kicking on a fuzz..... they seem to swamp out the fuzz when it's on, while being louder in bypass.....
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

I've also noticed that higher output pickups provide less dynamic range with a lot if fuzzes/distortions...touch sensitivity, fuzz cleanup, etc. Not to say that's a bad thing if you're looking to slam the input stage of a fuzz with as much gain as possible but I've found that the germanium circuits like the MK II and especially the MK I tend to sound a bit better with lower output pickups. I remember kicking on a MK I with my SG w/ P-90s at a gig at it was total mud!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
imguitardan

Post by imguitardan »

Looks like you guys are giving me a tutorial. Not that I'll stop using P-90s. :marx:
New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.

Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
John Lyons

Re:

Post by John Lyons »

redeyeflight wrote:I've also noticed that higher output pickups provide less dynamic range with a lot if fuzzes/distortions...touch sensitivity, fuzz cleanup, etc. Not to say that's a bad thing if you're looking to slam the input stage of a fuzz with as much gain as possible but I've found that the germanium circuits like the MK II and especially the MK I tend to sound a bit better with lower output pickups. I remember kicking on a MK I with my SG w/ P-90s at a gig at it was total mud!
This is why I like to put pre circuit level knobs on fuzzes. So you can set the input signal
and not have to ride your guitar volume. A pre set fuzz amount which cleans up the
signal hitting the fuzz. Works well even with single coils with lower output.
And then with a treble bleed cap you get even more clean up in the low end. :dance:
joegagan

Post by joegagan »

pregain control. i will have to give that a go :marx:
"Scuze me while I rip the sky....."--DucRyder
John Lyons

Re:

Post by John Lyons »

joegagan wrote:pregain control. i will have to give that a go :marx:
Uh oh...busted! :catfight: :para2: