How I use fuzz (a tutorial) with video... (D*A*M Sola MKII)

D*A*M Audio/Video Clips

Moderator: The Captain

imguitardan

Post by imguitardan »

I see what you guys are saying. I definitely heard that with my P-90s into Stu's Supa MKI but it's less of an issue to me in to other pedals.

Regardless, now I'm wondering. Can you guys post what the (k) output of yr "weak" pups are and about how far from the strings they are? I figure'd my 50's Tele should be right there yet it still compresses with MKII's and Fuzz Faces (not so much with MKI's though I never had much of an issue of too much compression with MKI's regardless).

BTW: the bridge pickups in my Tele is 6.7k and my P-90s (SG & LP) are both about 7.5k and are about halfway between the body and the strings,
Last edited by imguitardan on Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.

Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
imguitardan

Re: Re:

Post by imguitardan »

John Lyons wrote:
redeyeflight wrote:I've also noticed that higher output pickups provide less dynamic range with a lot if fuzzes/distortions...touch sensitivity, fuzz cleanup, etc. Not to say that's a bad thing if you're looking to slam the input stage of a fuzz with as much gain as possible but I've found that the germanium circuits like the MK II and especially the MK I tend to sound a bit better with lower output pickups. I remember kicking on a MK I with my SG w/ P-90s at a gig at it was total mud!
This is why I like to put pre circuit level knobs on fuzzes. So you can set the input signal
and not have to ride your guitar volume. A pre set fuzz amount which cleans up the
signal hitting the fuzz. Works well even with single coils with lower output.
And then with a treble bleed cap you get even more clean up in the low end. :dance:

I love that option on your pedals John but I feel that they are voiced so well that it's not too necessary (not that you should do away with it). What I mean to say is that each of your pedals I've played always seem to have "just the right amount" of compression. You do that VERY well. I think it's my favorite thing about your builds. :cheers:
New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.

Banwell

Post by Banwell »

5-7k output pups and standard distance from pups. I did notice from your vids that you have the bass strings closer to the pups? usually its the other way round so circa 3.6mm/2.4mm bass/treble.
imguitardan

Re:

Post by imguitardan »

Banwell wrote:5-7k output pups and standard distance from pups. I did notice from your vids that you have the bass strings closer to the pups? usually its the other way round so circa 3.6mm/2.4mm bass/treble.
I have the treble side lower on the LP b/c the maple cap makes them seem extra bright so I moved the treble side down a bit to mellow the attack. It's a great guitar but I had to mess around with many diff pups and heights to get the tones I wanted. I'm really happy with it now.

BTW: both my LP and SG have stock (7.5k) Gibson P-90s in the bridge and Lollar 50's Neck P-90s (AlNiCo II mags) which are about 6.7k.

Banwell

Post by Banwell »

i am no expert (far from it) but I'd rather have the guitar too bright and roll off treble from the tone pot then get it sounding great with everything on 10. My 2p. Plus your ears matter the most.
kelvinator60

Post by kelvinator60 »

Dan that Supa Mk1 of yours that I now own does indeed prefer lower output. It sings better through my Jazzmaster than with my P90 guitars. My Tele works ok with it but it has a 9k bridge pickup and rolling it off a bit seems to make it behave more like the Jazzmaster. It is difficult because I don't like the sound of low output pickups into Fender amps for the most part. I like a little more push, but it do cause some problems with fuzz. My DAM '66 doesnt seem to care whether I use low or high output unlike the Supa MK1 so I guess it really depends on the circuit. I have sold every MK2 I have ever owned including a DAM Sola because they just dont play well with the higher output unless you want to play volume knob boogie, which I do to a small extent but I am more of the Option 1 guy for the most part.
John Lyons

Re:

Post by John Lyons »

Banwell wrote:...I'd rather have the guitar too bright and roll off treble from the tone pot then get it sounding great with everything on 10...
I would think this would be best as well. The loudness all of the strings as a whole is the main thing, then
adjust the high end with the amp. Even though they are the high strings you are shooting for volume
with the PU height not just tone.
Not saying Dan is wrong, just thinking out loud.
imguitardan

Post by imguitardan »

Well. I love my tone so you guys can suck it! :fu: