Moderator: The Captain

Pahathuasyndicate

Re: Sola Sound Tone Bender MKI

Post by Pahathuasyndicate »

It’s amazing. I understand why you liked it the most now :party:
Pahathuasyndicate

For those who might be interested to know how these compare. They are both immense. The Pigdog is not as crazy as the recent loony, which has more artefact. It’s a thicker fuzz tone, milkshake thick. Very organic. It could be the oc81s as I’m noticing a pattern with this transistor, seems to impart a real clarity/ almost a transparency. Very thick and organic. Lower and upper mids push but retains great balance. The louder it gets the mids push is very obvious and very musical. Could it be the best all around MK1 I’ve heard-maybe? It is stunning. If you are wanting a very “rock star” guitar sound, you’ll get it with this pedal and a Les Paul. There would also seem to be a ring modulator built in, as with manipulation of guitar volumesand tone controls it will chime away much like an Octavia. The Dam has an obvious rasp to its tone and less overall weight behind it I would say but that impression is likely due to the greater balance across frequencies. It has more artefact, crackles and mk1 nuttiness all around. It’s a very unique sound, and it is an extreme example of a mk1 in that sense. Both are very addictive to play. I would be interested to see what people would pick if blind testing.
Attachments
23B3A376-DCA7-47BC-ADAB-A27953F3C4AF.jpeg
23B3A376-DCA7-47BC-ADAB-A27953F3C4AF.jpeg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 3329 times
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Good comparison! I think Dave refers to the OC81’s as “soupy”. Maybe that’s the same as “milkshake thick” but just different ways of explaining it!?

Either way great. I saw someone on insta say they prefer the Ghost version.... gotta try em all I reckon ;)
Pahathuasyndicate

I think it depends if a mk1 is your thing. Having had a chat with Ant, I am told this too, that lots of people are finding that the ghost is the one with the most. But I think it would be difficult to make a decision based on a quick shoot out. The mk1 is certainly the most complex/ dense sounding fuzz pedal I’ve heard so far. It will take some time to get a true feel of any of them. One thing is for sure, they are all winners.
Fuzzisthebest

Post by Fuzzisthebest »

I own a ToneBender Pigdog MK 1 (thanks Ant)but it doesn’t have the Oc 81’s . It really takes me into sounding like the fuzz I’ve heard from the recordings in the 60’s. Definitely takes single note lines so amazingly. Chords not so much.
skelt101

Post by skelt101 »

Fuzzisthebest wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:34 pm I own a ToneBender Pigdog MK 1 (thanks Ant)but it doesn’t have the Oc 81’s . It really takes me into sounding like the fuzz I’ve heard from the recordings in the 60’s. Definitely takes single note lines so amazingly. Chords not so much.
What does it have, if not the OC81s? :hmm:
Philip

Post by Philip »

The two Sola MKI builds by Steve I've played seem to have the tuning or voicing set up at the point right before you would get artifacts etc. This enables it to have a flavour of the FZ-1 roots, but the versatility of say a MKII (with MKI sound and tone). I perhaps might have prefered it was set up a step closer to the messier artifact laden sound, maybe some of the other Sola MKI builds by Steve are? But, I think that would probably take away some of it's versatility. It can do so much!

It really suits my style and basic sound set up. :tu:
Last edited by Philip on Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philip

Post by Philip »

skelt101 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:59 pm
Fuzzisthebest wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:34 pm I own a ToneBender Pigdog MK 1 (thanks Ant)but it doesn’t have the Oc 81’s . It really takes me into sounding like the fuzz I’ve heard from the recordings in the 60’s. Definitely takes single note lines so amazingly. Chords not so much.
What does it have, if not the OC81s? :hmm:
Page 20 has the answer. :tu:

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=20970&start=190
skelt101

Post by skelt101 »

Funny, I commented on the RCA trannies then too! Do you have a “special” number, Fuzzisthebest? When I put in my order, I asked Ant if #50 was available. The closest he had was #48, and it has the NKT OC81s.
Pahathuasyndicate

skelt101 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:49 am Funny, I commented on the RCA trannies then too! Do you have a “special” number, Fuzzisthebest? When I put in my order, I asked Ant if #50 was available. The closest he had was #48, and it has the NKT OC81s.
The RCAs were only in one pedal. The nkts didn’t make it in that pedal and Steve had no more. He very kindly therefore put RCAs in. That is the only sola mk1 with RCAs. I had this discussion with Ant before I bought mine. So if you are buying a Pigdog Sola, you will get one with nktoc81s- and they sound incredible.

Philip- I agree with you there. I think the artefact is there but very subtly, threatening to let loose but never does. I used the word exquisite for a reason, that’s what this one is :party: