Early Pro MKII Tonebender recordings etc.

Collaborations with originators.

Moderator: The Captain

get_with_it
Sola Sound London

Early Pro MKII Tonebender recordings etc.

Post by get_with_it »

Hi All

I've been asked in an interview to name some tracks featuring the early Tonebenders

would love to compile a list no matter how obscure the song or artist

thinking about it - any Sola Sound / Colorsound stuff would be cool - I only just read about Greg Lake using it on bass in King Crimson - Ive been listening to that track since i was knee high and had no idea - I just love this forum !!!!!!!!!!

So - yeah - Page to Bolan to Gilmour to your band - I'd love to get a list together

thanks in advance

Anthony Macari
Sola Sound
Electric Warrior

Re: Early Pro MKII Tonebender recordings etc.

Post by Electric Warrior »

always hard to tell on studio recordings, but there's definitely an MKII in this video :headbanger:

Everything is transitional.
Electric Warrior

and of course there's an MKI on "Hold Tight"

and on "Keep on running"

get_with_it
Sola Sound London

Post by get_with_it »

Ok - have I done something wrong ?- thought everyone would be all over this !
There are more replies to the question about where to go in East Sussex !!!!!!!
have I posted it in the wrong place ?
cheers
Anthony
Electric Warrior

don't know what's wrong...

Marc Bolan of course had a Colorsound Wah.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/f ... /t-rex.jpg

That's probably the one on the "Electric Warrior" album. It can be seen in the "Born to Boogie" movie as well..
get_with_it
Sola Sound London

Post by get_with_it »

I'va actually got a signed letter from Marc Bolan in the archive - requesting 2 x Colorsound Mighty Atom amplifiers in return for using his name in advertising !!!

Not a bad deal
Electric Warrior

very cool.
dazed and confused

Post by dazed and confused »

Most of Led Zep I is probably a MKII.

I have one of those Mighty Atoms kicking about somewhere, must dig it out for some pics sometime.
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

get_with_it wrote:Ok - have I done something wrong ?- thought everyone would be all over this !
There are more replies to the question about where to go in East Sussex !!!!!!!
have I posted it in the wrong place ?
cheers
Anthony
Nah man, not all. It is a tricky thing to pin down for most. The whole did Page use a Tone Bender MKII question alone is like opening a can of worms.

Shit I would say for sure...

Mick Ronson - Tone Bender MKI. All over the early Rats stuff. 'The Rise And Fall of Bernie Gripplestone' is kinda ll you need.....as I think that's all there is :hihi: Its a cool record as you can hear the MKI pretty clearly and in a uncomplicated mix. Mick used the MKI for a large part of his career so I guess the majority of the early Bowie stuff would feature the MKI as his main fuzz tone. The story goes that Mick acquired his MKI from Pete Townshend so he could be added to the list of users, though I doubt he used it on any recordings, but there is at lest one pic where he is using it live and the Who are listed on one of the early Tone Bender adverts.

Jimmy Page - Tone Bender MKII. Personalty, I think he is using a stock MKII on at least the Super Show footage, Electric Warrior posted above, and also the footage from Dutch TV, also 1969.

I hear a stock MKII into a big amp played at high volume with a single pick-up geetar all played by a talented man....if ya'll choose to hear a MKII enclosure with something Roger Mayer didn't make inside it, well that's cool too :hihi:

Regarding the studio LZ stuff I don't...I don't think anyone does. Sounds kinda tame to be a MKII to me but maybe he has a small amp and the Attack rolled off...

You can also add the Tone Bender MKIII for Page as it appears he it using, possibly the Rotosound branded version, one on this footage.

We had a Tone Bender Spotting thread on the old forum....I think Philip posted a pic of Syd Barrett with a MKII on that?!!? I'll have to go check...

Sickle posted a pic a while back of some US dudes, David Lee Roth?!!?, with a Jumbo Tone Bender in view.

Plenty of stuff out there just some digging around needed...
Cado

Post by Cado »

I think the No Quater trickery involves going without an amp into the board. Much the same for Black Dog, although the direct rhythm track is doubled with a mic'd amp track. Disclaimer: opinion is from memory.