D*A*M/Sola Sound Tone Bender MKI.5

Collaborations with originators.

Moderator: The Captain

The Captain

Re: D*A*M/Sola Sound Tone Bender MKI.5

Post by The Captain »

Cool new project number 1.5 :party:
MKI.75_14.JPG
The same but different. Some of you folk wanted the MKI.5 with OC75's, so here it is, but, with a lil cheeky variation on the theme.

I wasn't actually keen on doing the MKI.5 with OC75's because it makes for a very erratic and unstable circuit. Any one owning one or anyone who has had the joy of playing an original will notice that the thing flips out with extreme temperature shifts, to the point of not actually passing a usable signal. Original MKI.5's are also very inconstant from one unit to the next, this and the previously mentioned information don't make for a particularity great project if you plan on making something in any kind of number that you then plan to sell.
MKI.75_07.JPG
So compromise. It is the stock OC75 circuit but with two slight mods. The main addition is a pull-down resistor on the base of Q1. What does this do? It correctly biases the circuit for this transistor type. It's not really a cheat as such or anything that will alter the tone any, it is actually a part that is present in the MKII circuit so it is still quite true to its roots, so to speak. The second addition is a pull-down capacitor on the input. Again same as you see on some MKII's. Basically this just shunts back ground noise, it's not a tone shaping part.

Tone wise, it's a MKI.5 with OC75's. Chewy and torn around the edges. Gnarlier and rougher sounding than the OC84 model. Gain levels are good for a two transistor Tone Bender with pretty good clean-up abilities with a nice dynamic range for a fuzz box packing OC75's.

Also, it's copper, or bronze, or brown, or red...the thing is a damn chameleon! Different light different colour...and at no extra charge.
MKI.75_10.JPG
Sounds...

king_of_the_road

Post by king_of_the_road »

Cool shit is cool is all I say. We've been guessing about what this is since Macaris posted a picture of it on FB. Very interesting but I'm still waiting for my red diabolish devil. :twisted:
Philip

Post by Philip »

:party:
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

:badlove: :drool2:
’brutish in character but not thug like’
sciencefriction

Post by sciencefriction »

:cyclops: Seriously DAMn, all of these incredible sounding new builds at one time. I'm not sure which one to throw in with. I have a thing for OC75 mojo.. so bloody tempting.
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

What a gorgeous color!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
worldcatalyst

Post by worldcatalyst »

sciencefriction wrote::cyclops: Seriously DAMn, all of these incredible sounding new builds at one time. I'm not sure which one to throw in with. I have a thing for OC75 mojo.. so bloody tempting.
Ain't that the truth. :badlove:

I just can't afford all this new awesomeness coming out of the castle D*A*M. I just got a dope priest and am holding out for a lucer rising.

Well, I just hope I can have a few months of waiting before my name comes up on this list.
Zacharia Matilda

Post by Zacharia Matilda »

You lucky bastids what been on the list... Fucking beautiful, and i'll bet it rips!
"What we need is a love bomb. A 100% gold plated, purified love bomb."
Gary

Post by Gary »

:hihi:
Kitrae

Post by Kitrae »

The Brick Bender! :marx:

It is a sweet color though.