http://stompboxes.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 10#p292192

C5E6AE96-209A-4FF5-BE24-4974B0139AC5.jpeg
C5E6AE96-209A-4FF5-BE24-4974B0139AC5.jpeg (111.8 KiB) Viewed 3367 times
4CC9594E-EBDF-459B-A8CC-A80C523AE372.jpeg
4CC9594E-EBDF-459B-A8CC-A80C523AE372.jpeg (109.13 KiB) Viewed 3367 times

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3DUi7IWf5MU

Re: D*A*M/Sola Sound Tone Bender MKII SCB

Post by sideasoundlab »

I've recently got one of those beasts in a trade with a member of the forum ( thanks Idlesouth), and I'm blown away by its sound.

I was mostly an MKIV, MKI, MK1.5/Fuzz face guy up until now, and didn't have much experience with MKII, except from a few builds from small builders. The sound of this Blue Meanie has a lot of depth, very 3D and chewy, with a lot of harmonics and overtones and an amazing clarity and notes definition. Chords are way clearer and defined than on any of my Sola MKIVs. It sustains for days. It is agressive with bitting highs, but still remains relatively smooth in its agression on my low output singe coils ( if that makes sense). It's far less crunchy than the latest Pigdog Jujus for example. The clean up is beautiful too. What a remarkable bender, I totally love it and it easily became one of my favourites. I might be an MKII guy after all.

The only downfall is that it is quite noisy at full bore, much more than any of my benders ( with the exception of the D*A*M built Sola Sound Fuzz sound, wich is quite noisy too). And I use very low output single coils, so I don't imagine what it would be like with high output buckers. I don't know if it's specific to the circuit, this series or my own unit ?
Do you guys also have quite some noise when pushing the fuzz to the max ?
Good deals with: Fishleehooker, Sovtekfuzz, Idle South, Blue Colander Stompboxes
daCod

Post by daCod »

sideasoundlab wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:04 pm I've recently got one of those beasts in a trade with a member of the forum ( thanks Idlesouth), and I'm blown away by its sound.

I was mostly an MKIV, MKI, MK1.5/Fuzz face guy up until now, and didn't have much experience with MKII, except from a few builds from small builders. The sound of this Blue Meanie has a lot of depth, very 3D and chewy, with a lot of harmonics and overtones and an amazing clarity and notes definition. Chords are way clearer and defined than on any of my Sola MKIVs. It sustains for days. It is agressive with bitting highs, but still remains relatively smooth in its agression on my low output singe coils ( if that makes sense). It's far less crunchy than the latest Pigdog Jujus for example. The clean up is beautiful too. What a remarkable bender, I totally love it and it easily became one of my favourites. I might be an MKII guy after all.

The only downfall is that it is quite noisy at full bore, much more than any of my benders ( with the exception of the D*A*M built Sola Sound Fuzz sound, wich is quite noisy too). And I use very low output single coils, so I don't imagine what it would be like with high output buckers. I don't know if it's specific to the circuit, this series or my own unit ?
congrats on the trade! these are massive fuzzers. think my name might still be on Ant's list :hihi:

a few years back Jerms crashed my pad on a cross country road trip. i had the opportunity to play a few of his originals. he had an original short board MKII - like the blue meanie - and it was GLORIOUS. the switchable MKI.5/MKII bender he made me was based of this pedal. the jerms was exactly as you describe your blue meanie. and it had the same noise at full bore as well. but so did his original unit. said it was just the nature of the beast.

it's just part of the fun - the unique racket they make when you're in between notes :party:

instagram screenshot collage of my jerms fuzz-out nebraska pics

if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
hamoftruth

Post by hamoftruth »

I'm lucky enough to own one of those Jerms MK1.5/MK2 switchable pedals. I didn't know the MK2 side was based on the SCB but that makes sense because I also have a Castledine Pro MKII which too is based on a SCB and they're both higher gain/ruder than my D*A*M OC84 Sola Pro MK2. The Sola is lower gain but has a bigger dynamic range, can get a smidge more volume and definition. Not a million miles apart but definitely two different flavors.
All You Need Is Fuzz

Good Dealings /w - SovtekFuzz, Doctor X, daCod, dangergirlstarship, TeleSoul, sideasoundlab, DBBlues
sideasoundlab

Post by sideasoundlab »

daCod wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:37 pm
sideasoundlab wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:04 pm I've recently got one of those beasts in a trade with a member of the forum ( thanks Idlesouth), and I'm blown away by its sound.

congrats on the trade! these are massive fuzzers. think my name might still be on Ant's list :hihi:

a few years back Jerms crashed my pad on a cross country road trip. i had the opportunity to play a few of his originals. he had an original short board MKII - like the blue meanie - and it was GLORIOUS. the switchable MKI.5/MKII bender he made me was based of this pedal. the jerms was exactly as you describe your blue meanie. and it had the same noise at full bore as well. but so did his original unit. said it was just the nature of the beast.

it's just part of the fun - the unique racket they make when you're in between notes :party:

instagram screenshot collage of my jerms fuzz-out nebraska pics

Thank you for your feedback !
Yeah the noise is part of its charm and vintage vibe I guess :hihi:
Beautiful collection of fuzz boxes :badlove:
Good deals with: Fishleehooker, Sovtekfuzz, Idle South, Blue Colander Stompboxes
Bigfoot2000

Post by Bigfoot2000 »

Congrats mate, I hope you enjoy it, play it loud! I really want one too

I actually find that mkII likes humbuckers and the idle noise is pretty quiet. Get some nice PAF style low output hunbuckers and I think you’ll be impressed. I recently stuck some Wizz low winds in my LP and my fuzz pedals are sounding better than ever
Instagram: @bigfoot.2000
sideasoundlab

Post by sideasoundlab »

Bigfoot2000 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:59 am
Congrats mate, I hope you enjoy it, play it loud! I really want one too

I actually find that mkII likes humbuckers and the idle noise is pretty quiet. Get some nice PAF style low output hunbuckers and I think you’ll be impressed. I recently stuck some Wizz low winds in my LP and my fuzz pedals are sounding better than ever
Thank you !
I will take my Les Paul out of its retirement to try it out :D
I've got the Seymur Duncan Jazz set in it with an SH2 in the neck ( PAF style low output). Great pickups
hamoftruth

Post by hamoftruth »

I have also found that I much prefer MK2 designs with humbuckers. I recently installed some House of Tone TruPAFs (Verdi Peter Green set) in my Heritage H150 and I've been loving the sound with a lot of my 2-transistor fuzzes but also with my MK2s. I think they like a little bit of that extra push compared to the Teles I mostly play :smashed:
All You Need Is Fuzz

Good Dealings /w - SovtekFuzz, Doctor X, daCod, dangergirlstarship, TeleSoul, sideasoundlab, DBBlues
Bigfoot2000

Post by Bigfoot2000 »

I think it depends on the humbuckers, too much output and for me all fuzz sounds like shit, single coils is really what I like best with fuzz faces and 1.5s, also big muffs. My broadcaster RI has a nice hot bridge and it sounds great with all my fuzzes. Humbuckers (low wind) can sound great with fuzz, especially Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3/4 but for me not quite as good with 2 transistor fuzz.
Instagram: @bigfoot.2000