COLORSOUND SUPA & JUMBO WIDE BODIED TONE BENDERS

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

Stu

Re:

Post by Stu »

Kitrae wrote:
Electric Warrior wrote: People keep confusing them. If you ever come across any oddities make sure to have them documented in pictures.
Thanks. That's why I asked for gut shots. There are 3 trany Jumbos with different layouts to the Supa 3 trany pcb I have seen. I assume this is what is in the ones pictured above.
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/70s-c ... ip-339749/

And a few more.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/leoncook/3 ... otostream/
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 7&start=30
That's the same board used in the narrow case silver Tone Benders. I've never seen a Jumbo with four transistors, nor a Supa with three.
Kitrae

Post by Kitrae »

All three of those pcbs are in wide case Tonebender Jumbos. Never seen that circuit in a narrow case Tonebender. Were there any Supa or Jumbos made in a narrow case at all? I thought everything was made in the wide case at this point.
Stu

Re: COLORSOUND SUPA & JUMBO WIDE BODIED TONE BENDERS

Post by Stu »

I know they're all Jumbos, but you mentioned dfferent layouts. I was pointing out that this PCB (link below) was also used in narrow cased silver Tone Benders in the mid '70s.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/leoncook/3 ... otostream/
Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior »

Like the one on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1049
Everything is transitional.
Kitrae

Post by Kitrae »

I get you. The other two pcbs I linked to are not the same as that one. Which makes me want to see what is inside Graham's Jumbos even more. So we have this same modded BMP circuit in both the regular Tonebender case and the Jumbo. Interesting.

The layout on those second two late model Jumbos are identical, but an extra cap and resistor located above the big electro on the lower right are included in the early model Jumbo in my first link and that thin case '76 Tonebender Fuzz in your link.
Electric Warrior wrote:Like the one on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1049
I just had another look at that third Colorsound Fuzz on this thread, the reissue. It is also a Jumbo circuit - Big Muff minus recovery stage and a diode set.
The Captain

Re: Re:

Post by The Captain »

Stu wrote:
Kitrae wrote: I've never seen a Jumbo with four transistors, nor a Supa with three.
Same here. 4 transistors, it's a Supa. 3 and it's a Jumbo. That's the way I've always seen it anyways.
Kitrae

Post by Kitrae »

Unless it's a '76 Tonbender Fuzz with a four trany Jumbo circuit like the one in that thread linked above :)

Seriously, that and the 3 tranny Supa/4 trany Jumbo schematics, and the pix I have seen of the one circuit in the other's case, tell me that Sola was putting whatever circuits they wanted to in whatever cases they wanted to on occasion. They must have been following the consistency plan Electro-Harmonix was using at the time. :hihi:
Electric Warrior

Re:

Post by Electric Warrior »

Kitrae wrote:Unless it's a '76 Tonbender Fuzz with a four trany Jumbo circuit like the one in that thread linked above :)
I count three.
Kitrae wrote: Seriously, that and the 3 tranny Supa/4 trany Jumbo schematics, and the pix I have seen of the one circuit in the other's case, tell me that Sola was putting whatever circuits they wanted to in whatever cases they wanted to on occasion. They must have been following the consistency plan Electro-Harmonix was using at the time. :hihi:
With all these four transistor Supas and three transistor Jumbos around I tend to think they were pretty consistent. Fuck ups could have happened, but it sure was no whatever circuit into whatever case.
You still need to show us pics of a Supa or Jumbo having the wrong circuit...
Again: schematics prove nothing. People get things wrong in their schematics frequently. just look at fuzzcentral's tone bender site :badteeth:
Everything is transitional.
The Captain

Re:

Post by The Captain »

Kitrae wrote:Unless it's a '76 Tonbender Fuzz with a four trany Jumbo circuit like the one in that thread linked above :)

Seriously, that and the 3 tranny Supa/4 trany Jumbo schematics, and the pix I have seen of the one circuit in the other's case, tell me that Sola was putting whatever circuits they wanted to in whatever cases they wanted to on occasion. They must have been following the consistency plan Electro-Harmonix was using at the time. :hihi:
You mean this one? If so, that be a Jumbo, as in 3 transistors.

The layout is different to the early models is all. I would assume the layout was changed so the circuit board could be made narrower so it would fit into the thinner enclosure style.
theemadcap1

Re: COLORSOUND SUPA & JUMBO WIDE BODIED TONE BENDERS

Post by theemadcap1 »

Not to convolute and go off the discussion already taking place...
I heard from someone that the first 2 Supa ToneBenders, which were built for Steve Hackett, had the top hat Germanium transistors in it and that he requested they use silicon transistors... :idunno:
I guess till one of those germ. Supa TBs actually surface, it's still just a rumor... :badteeth: