COLORSOUND SUPA & JUMBO WIDE BODIED TONE BENDERS

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior »

The Captain wrote:
Kitrae wrote:Unless it's a '76 Tonbender Fuzz with a four trany Jumbo circuit like the one in that thread linked above :)

Seriously, that and the 3 tranny Supa/4 trany Jumbo schematics, and the pix I have seen of the one circuit in the other's case, tell me that Sola was putting whatever circuits they wanted to in whatever cases they wanted to on occasion. They must have been following the consistency plan Electro-Harmonix was using at the time. :hihi:
You mean this one? If so, that be a Jumbo, as in 3 transistors.

The layout is different to the early models is all. I would assume the layout was changed so the circuit board could be made narrower so it would fit into the thinner enclosure style.
Oh, there's an even earlier layout?
I thought he was referring to these and the later PCBs with the slightly tightened up layout..
Everything is transitional.
The Captain

Re: COLORSOUND SUPA & JUMBO WIDE BODIED TONE BENDERS

Post by The Captain »

Man, I'm confusing myself here :banger: All the Jumbo's used this same layout, right?

The Captain

Post by The Captain »

theemadcap1 wrote:Not to convolute and go off the discussion already taking place...
I heard from someone that the first 2 Supa ToneBenders, which were built for Steve Hackett, had the top hat Germanium transistors in it and that he requested they use silicon transistors... :idunno:
I guess till one of those germ. Supa TBs actually surface, it's still just a rumor... :badteeth:
Yeah, I'd call bullshit on that :hihi:
Kitrae

Re: Re:

Post by Kitrae »

Electric Warrior wrote:
Kitrae wrote:Unless it's a '76 Tonbender Fuzz with a four trany Jumbo circuit like the one in that thread linked above :)
I count three.
Sorry, I meant three. It's Friday.
Electric Warrior wrote: With all these four transistor Supas and three transistor Jumbos around I tend to think they were pretty consistent.
Absolutely, that's why I said "on ocassion". See above for an occasion where they were not. Jumbo curcuit, supposedly from '74 or earlier, in a Tonebender Fuzz enclosure with '76 pots. That's either a mistake or Solo intentionally made some with that circuit.
Electric Warrior wrote: Again: schematics prove nothing. People get things wrong in their schematics frequently. just look at fuzzcentral's tone bender site :badteeth:
Getting touchy aren't you? Never said they did, but just the question that they are out there, and seeing pix of the swapped circuits makes me ask, was this actually done in production? Still not satisfied that it was until I see repeated examples myself.
Electric Warrior wrote: You still need to show us pics of a Supa or Jumbo having the wrong circuit...
I only have one from an email sent to me a few years back, but as I said, a pic of the bottom of a wide case with a 4 transistor Supa circuit that the emailer says was in a Jumbo enclosure proves nothing without actually seeing the top.
Kitrae

Post by Kitrae »

The Captain wrote:Man, I'm confusing myself here :banger: All the Jumbo's used this same layout, right?
No. There are two shown in the links I posted a few post up. The earlier one with the tighter layout also includes and extra cap and resistor.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Kitrae wrote:
Electric Warrior wrote:With all these four transistor Supas and three transistor Jumbos around I tend to think they were pretty consistent.
Absolutely, that's why I said "on ocassion". See above for an occasion where they were not. Jumbo curcuit, supposedly from '74 or earlier, in a Tonebender Fuzz enclosure with '76 pots. That's either a mistake or Solo intentionally made some with that circuit.
Not a mistake, these are well known and were made concurrently with the wide case Jumbos. Who said the Jumbo is '74 or earlier anyway? That's incorrect.
Electric Warrior

The Captain wrote:Man, I'm confusing myself here :banger: All the Jumbo's used this same layout, right?
Haven't seen any other layout. They cleaned it up for the 1980 run, though:

Just got a bit neater.

There were two layouts for the Supa however (see page 1 :wink2: )
Kitrae wrote: I only have one from an email sent to me a few years back, but as I said, a pic of the bottom of a wide case with a 4 transistor Supa circuit that the emailer says was in a Jumbo enclosure proves nothing without actually seeing the top.
Right. So there still is no evidence for this at all. Just vague hints that something like this might exist.

The emailer could have referred to the size of the enclosure. Colorsound called a lot of things "Jumbo" on the packaging when it had the wide enclosure...

The Captain

Post by The Captain »

Kitrae wrote:
No. There are two shown in the links I posted a few post up. The earlier one with the tighter layout also includes and extra cap and resistor.
Ya mean these two?

If so, thats the same layout. They are both later versions. I've had two of those black and gold Jumbo's. One was '79 the other was '81.
Kitrae

Post by Kitrae »

Stu wrote:
Kitrae wrote:
Electric Warrior wrote:With all these four transistor Supas and three transistor Jumbos around I tend to think they were pretty consistent.
Not a mistake, these are well known and were made concurrently with the wide case Jumbos. Who said the Jumbo is '74 or earlier anyway? That's incorrect.
I actually think they were '76 or 77, just based on the pot dates, and that's what I show on my website. A few different websites say '74, and a guy in Japan, from the tonebender blogspot I think, told me they were '74.

If the Tonbender fuzz was well known as having been made with the Jumbo circuits, that's the first I have heard of it. Anyone know how long/what years they were doing these?
Electric Warrior

Kitrae wrote: Absolutely, that's why I said "on ocassion". See above for an occasion where they were not. Jumbo curcuit, supposedly from '74 or earlier, in a Tonebender Fuzz enclosure with '76 pots. That's either a mistake or Solo intentionally made some with that circuit.
They made plenty of them in the thin silver case from around '76 I think. The ones with the Jumbo circuit are marked "Tone" , the germanium ones say "Treble Bass". They were in production concurrently for a while.

I know of one freaky little pedal that ended up with the wrong ("Treble Bass") enclosure, though:
$(KGrHqEOKpIE24gPyk0rBN0Q,TSWPg~~_3.JPG
$(KGrHqEOKpIE24gPyk0rBN0Q,TSWPg~~_3.JPG (107.36 KiB) Viewed 4084 times
$(KGrHqQOKj!E26J262!qBN0Q,WUEKg~~_3.JPG
$(KGrHqQOKj!E26J262!qBN0Q,WUEKg~~_3.JPG (112.47 KiB) Viewed 4084 times
Pot codes are 2-5.
Who knows how it ended up with that circuit, though? Maybe it was a custom order or something?