JHS ZONK MACHINE EARLY ONE

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

Graham

JHS ZONK MACHINE EARLY ONE

Post by Graham »

Graham

Re: JHS ZONK MACHINE EARLY ONE

Post by Graham »

guts:

Graham

Re: JHS ZONK MACHINE EARLY ONE WITH JHS-1 TREBLE BOOSTER

Post by Graham »

Creepyfingers

Post by Creepyfingers »

Wow

Rad. Is that a .47uf on the end or a .047uf? Schems all say .47 but its a bit on the small side. I gotta bust out the clone I made ages ago.

--Brad
Graham

Post by Graham »

Creepyfingers wrote:Wow

Rad. Is that a .47uf on the end or a .047uf? Schems all say .47 but its a bit on the small side. I gotta bust out the clone I made ages ago.

--Brad
Brad - I lent this one to Dave for a while - nothing wrong with it that I knew of but I knew he fancied checking it over for his own records - As you will havegathered I'm a luddite when it comes to the tech of it all - Tone yes - Tech - might as well show a native Pygmy a photograph!

I do know that he was impressed that the pot being much different from that dound in later examples (and on the schematics kicking about) made a big difdference to the performance of the pedal - for instance popular myth (mainly from a few lines on Jeffs posting at Tonefrenzy) reckoned it was effectively compromised wiyhout the JHS-1 Booster - The Swell control being effectively useless in its absence - Daves reaction was that with the pot set up on these values everything worked fine - i.e without the absolute need for a Booster - though of course putting the (or any other early Booster) in line expands the tonal palette available - Id suggest PM'ing Dave for his views -I am hoping that he will supply a lot ofthe technical commentary on these pedals as I have made a point of getting them up to him so he can have the benefit of being "hands -on" with decent - plugging the JHS-1 in line turns it into an automatic feedback setup -makesa plexi stack squeal like a stuck pig!!e had been pleasantlyu surprised - How close it is to a Sola MK1 I couldnt say - it gates the same way!! I love it

Hope it helps - There are lots of pics and I'm aware its a bandwidth problem but its all about getting this stuff into the public arena so you guys can make something of it!! If you get a Zonk based pedalo together - give me a shout eh! - Cheers Graham
Creepyfingers

Post by Creepyfingers »

Yeah

This version appears to have multiple differences to the usual schem. My clone has a lot of gain, it can feed back with no help from other pedals. Its pretty tight sounding almost treble boosted fuzz tone. I have no idea if its sounds close to an original but I like it.

--Brad
Jim Goad

Post by Jim Goad »

The Zonk & Treble Booster make a lovely pair. Those 2 are in great nick too. I'd be more than a little excited if a clone incorporating both in 1 box cropped up next year.

ahem... (hint)
It's like an orange on a toothpick
Graham

Post by Graham »

Jim Goad wrote:The Zonk & Treble Booster make a lovely pair. Those 2 are in great nick too. I'd be more than a little excited if a clone incorporating both in 1 box cropped up next year.

ahem... (hint)
Jim we all live in hope but bearing in mind a/ the shortage of decent components b/ the horribly stressful job involved in tuning these mk1 type circuits
c/ the fact that our beloved Captain is a tadge worn out from rather a lot of tricky tranny tuning ---- I WOULDNT HOLD MY BREATH!!

G the fatalist
:viol:
Jim Goad

Post by Jim Goad »

Yeah, I know it's unlikely but I live in hope.
It's like an orange on a toothpick
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

Ah thare she blows! :smashed: Yup one of my all time favourites. What a Beauty. I heard a few Zonks but that one has a little extra magic and some. A lovely creature indeed. You are a lucky man Graham. Here she was on her visit :hihi: Pictured with her retarded sister, who has since left for pastures new.