Marshall SupaFuzz with MKI circuit

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

sluttyindian

Re: Marshall SupaFuzz with MKI circuit

Post by sluttyindian »

I read somewhere (cant seem to find it now) that Reine Fiske from Dungen used to have a supa fuzz mk1 before it got stolen from his dressing room
"These pedals are like women, when you need one there's none around. When you finally get in a serious relationship with one, they come out of the woodwork." -Turkish
SilverTightrope

Post by SilverTightrope »

sluttyindian wrote:I read somewhere (cant seem to find it now) that Reine Fiske from Dungen used to have a supa fuzz mk1 before it got stolen from his dressing room
Very interesting...I heard he uses an old Schaller, but hard to really nail down his fuzztones. Love his playing/Dungen and The Amazing also.
~Actually I think Art lies in both directions - the broad strokes, big picture but on the other hand the minute examination of the apparently mundane. Seeing the whole world in a grain of sand, that kind of thing~ Peter Hammill
Captain_Phildo

Post by Captain_Phildo »

For those of you who own this fine circuit (or one of the clones) could you tell me if it works with a wah in front? I'm rather illiterate in the realm of electronics but as far as I can tell some of the regular Supa Fuzzes which lack an input cap work fine with a wah. Does the Supa MkI also lack the same input cap?
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

^ My Jerms Supa MkI works great with my Castledine wah in front, but that's got an output buffer in it and works well with everything. I haven't tried it with any other wah but will make a point of rectifying that. I'm guessing you're interested in how it works with a Cry Baby/Vox wah?
Captain_Phildo

Post by Captain_Phildo »

HorseyBoy wrote:^ My Jerms Supa MkI works great with my Castledine wah in front, but that's got an output buffer in it and works well with everything. I haven't tried it with any other wah but will make a point of rectifying that. I'm guessing you're interested in how it works with a Cry Baby/Vox wah?
Yeah, I have an incoming Castledine (Vox) Grey Wah, no buffer, and I'll be looking for a good fuzz to pair it with. I'm a big fan of using wah and fuzz together, but this can be a tricky balancing act. Based on what can be gathered from clips online, I've fallen in love with the Supa MkI but if it doesn't work with a vintage style wah then I'll probably have to pass.
Philip

Post by Philip »

Without modification the wah effect is weak when placed before the Supa MKI.

You can hear Stu's with wah placed after the supa here.

Captain_Phildo

Post by Captain_Phildo »

Thanks guys. Yeah, I've lost count how many times I've heard that video Philip, it's possibly my favourite pedal demo. I do prefer the sound of a wah in front of a fuzz though - with the wah after, the filter just seems to mess up the fuzz tone a bit too much for my liking. Might just need to save up and get myself a Supa to see how it interacts with the Grey.
anemochore
Location: Outside of Suquamish at the bottem end of Hawkeye's trail next door to Nooshkum

Post by anemochore »

The best solution (or best sounding) I've found is putting Stu's Supra Vibe in between the wah and the fuzz leaving the preamp on in the Supra. Problem is I prefer the vibe after fuzz. A good recording studio solution though.
Also a good buffer in between would be that J Rockett. Problem with that is I prefer not to have the buffer on before a fuzz when the wah is off.
My ultimate solution was Stu's standard wah buffered before and I perchased a Gagan with no buffer for after. Both Awesome.
Why skip on the fuzz that sounds best to you?
Don't make me assume my ultimate form
Philip

Post by Philip »

Can't the Supa MKI be modded to make it work with wah first?
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

Captain_Phildo wrote:Thanks guys. Yeah, I've lost count how many times I've heard that video Philip, it's possibly my favourite pedal demo. I do prefer the sound of a wah in front of a fuzz though - with the wah after, the filter just seems to mess up the fuzz tone a bit too much for my liking. Might just need to save up and get myself a Supa to see how it interacts with the Grey.
I tried my Jerms Supa MkI with my old (late 70s, I think) Jen Cry Baby in front of it today and it worked pretty well. Certainly not the unholy mess you'd get if you tried it with a Fuzz Face. Pretty sure Jim stayed true to the OG circuit, no mods that I'm aware of. Did a short iPad recording to give you an idea. The wah itself doesn't have the greatest sweep but it sounded okay. It's just a straight-up Cry Baby, no buffer, with a true-bypass switch. Link at the end of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20924