Rotosound Fuzz no. 1

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

Stu

Rotosound Fuzz no. 1

Post by Stu »

Made by Jennings, post-Vox, this is the same circuit as the Colorsound one-knob fuzz.

Philip

Re: Rotosound Fuzz no. 1

Post by Philip »

Strange how it has the roto sticker on the front, but still has the Jennings tag on the bottom.

Does the rubber rotary control move easily? I can imagine that being 'interesting' to use during a gig, ie clicking the footswitch with gusto and accidentaly moving the rubber rotary control!?

How does this circuit sound? Good clean up? Does the Colorsound 'reissue' sound similar?
API

Post by API »

Hi Stu.

Wasn´t that the one you bought for 17 quid!?!?

It is the only one I have ever seen ever, would fit right in in my Jennings collection!
Actually there is a connection between Rotosound and Jennings, I have some NOS Jennings pedals and in the booklets these pedals are presented as "Rotosound" pedals and it must be from the rotating pad.
Get it?
Rotating pad - Rotosound

But again, I have never seen one other with the Rotosound logo.
I know of another weird Jennings Fuzz that has a printed Jennings logo on the front instead of the more common metal plate and the case has squared of corners.
I have a picture of it somewhere, will look around and post it here.

Dennis
Philip

Post by Philip »

There's an interesting photo in the recent Vox book showing what appears to be the entire range of Jennings pedals hanging on a wall at a Frankfurt trade fare.

Do you think the rotosound monicker is being descriptive rather than it being an actual rotosound product name?
MaryKelly

Post by MaryKelly »

I dont know why but I always thought those were the most beautiful vintage pedals I have ever seen.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Yep there have been two or three of those on ebay just this last year - not big money either (dont think I played cos of space issues although when you see that kind of thing being stolen at £100 quid or so it does produce a bit of an itch in the crevice!

Still Ive had (got) some of those little fuzz face "like" german Schaller pedals - "all mouth and no trousers " (in my humble opinion!) what with that tricksy imitation plstic grey hammerite top on the later ones but its pretty cool nfunky one the less to see those 2 words on top -

PEGEL & INTENSITAT

herr prof von Graham :party:
DiscoFreq

Post by DiscoFreq »

Schaller Double pedal: just bought a broken one, the seller only wanted to ship inside Germany, but thanks to Facebook I could send it to an old classmate who lives there now :D

Rotosound Fuzz: that Jennings Hi-Lo Boost I just bought has the same little sticker on the input of the pedal (about saving power). I thought it was added later, but as this one has one too it's probably original :)
Last edited by DiscoFreq on Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
26000 pedals, 4000 brands
Stu

Post by Stu »

Ha! I'd forgotten how much I paid for it. It was a bargain! :badteeth:

I'd assumed the Rotosound sticker related the company, rather than the function of the pad. The logo seems to be identical to that on the Sola Sound made Rotosound fuzzes.

I sold this one a while ago, but I'm sure the pot had a '69 date code, which I guess means it came after the Rotosounds from Sola Sound.

It was a killer fuzz (as is the Colorsound remake). Very thick and chewy, not harsh like some silicon fuzzes. :freakout:
Graham

Post by Graham »

DiscoFreq wrote:Schaller Double pedal: just bought a broken one, the seller only wanted to ship inside Germany, but thanks to Facebook I could send it to an old classmate who lives there now :D

Rotosound Fuzz: that Jennings Hi-Lo Boost I just bought has the same little sticker on the input of the pedal (about saving power). I thought it was added later, but as this one has one too it's probably original :)
The Jennings Cyclone I have has the same sticker - I ought to do a pic or two - its very crowded inside!! G
API

Post by API »

Hi again Stu.

What I was trying to say was that the Rotosoud name sprung out if these pedals.
From what I have gathered Jennings was the owner of the Rotosound name so a theory is that they came up with the name Rotosound to apply to the rotating disc on the pedal.
Or maybe it was the other way around that the idea of the disc came up when someone did some creative thinking with the Rotosound name.
The Jennings leaflets I have does have the same Rotosound logo as the strings so they were connected.
Does anyone know when Rotosound strings first came around??

Can´t believe you sold it though!
Would have loved to buy it, Rotosound is the only thing I collect these days.

Dennis