Vox MkIII

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

Stu

Vox MkIII

Post by Stu »

All original except the knobs. I had to put grub screw knobs on this one. The push-on type won't stay on, because the pot shafts are too short and the flats are tapered - probably why the original knobs were missing.

This one has the second version of the upside down board and Erie pots dated the 23rd and 36th weeks of 1970.

Graham

Re: Vox MkIII

Post by Graham »

Lovely shots Stu - I myself have a great affection for the mk3's - I could stick a big group shot of them here but dont want to seem rude or boastful - if others begin adding mk3's to your post the I'll happily join in as Ive got photojobs on lots of versions (many were on old forum post ings that didnt make it over - and Im afraid I have completely lost the plot of what I have or havent stuck up here to date!!)

One silly question though please - and bowing happily to your expertise in these things - I have the model you show and the same one with the non reversed board - but off the top of my head they both have a socketed (well white plastic base mounting anyway) "pair" of those flat'n'fat trannies - am I right in calling them TOA 130's (was that the can designation??) - I have them - [maybe just one actually]- in the early Zonk too but I never saw a Mk3 with two regular metal can trannies (whether full or partial copper/brass tops or plain silvers) and just one "fattie" (please forgive my non-tech words) - was this an intermediate stage between the paired "fatties" with single metal can and the triple metal can ( later being called MkIV type) circuit. One of thise recently aquired pedals wich I already detaled here was an orange bodied mkIV with a twin "fattie" / single straight Ge can) board - it surprised me a bit as I had associated that with the earlier mk3 Tonebenders having (as already mentioned above) both reverse and non-reverse board versions of Vox examples of the mk3 with that exact board.

Thanks - Graham
Stu

Post by Stu »

Please do post more photos!

Those short, fat transistors are a TO5 type, but I don't know what they are. The earliest MkIIIs had a pair of NKTs for Q1 and Q2, with a pair of OC75s for Q3 and the diode.

I thought the TO5 in my MkIII was a replacement for a while, but my Sola MkIV has the same combination. In both, the transistors are flat to the board, no plastic spacer.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Stu wrote:Please do post more photos!

Those short, fat transistors are a TO5 type, but I don't know what they are. The earliest MkIIIs had a pair of NKTs for Q1 and Q2, with a pair of OC75s for Q3 and the diode.

I thought the TO5 in my MkIII was a replacement for a while, but my Sola MkIV has the same combination. In both, the transistors are flat to the board, no plastic spacer.
okeydokey

Pics a bit out of date as some are lent out others newly arrived - but there's another 2 knob Park - a 2 knob Vox (already on forum) - the turquoise & gold "sticker" version (also on forum) and another germanium reverse board

like I said I really love them! Also I'm pretty sure I had some "in detail" on the old forum that we never ported over!

WHY ARE THERE NO DAM Mk3's??

:x G
dazed and confused

Post by dazed and confused »

There are :oldsmile:
Great photos everyone, keep em coming
Graham

Post by Graham »

HA! doubtless we'll have that gorgeous little hot yellow number up next too!! :love:

What I meant is here I am having to put up with all this shitty second hand stuff - where's my chance at a proper DAM Mk3?? :evil:

g :mrgreen:
kb892

Post by kb892 »

Graham wrote:HA! doubtless we'll have that gorgeous little hot yellow number up next too!! :love:

What I meant is here I am having to put up with all this shitty second hand stuff - where's my chance at a proper DAM Mk3?? :evil:

g :mrgreen:
DAM it! I can't find my big yellow here at work but hows about lil Freida?
Attachments
FREIDA_1_LIL.JPG
FREIDA_1_LIL.JPG (165.56 KiB) Viewed 4556 times
Philip

Post by Philip »

Graham wrote: Image
:shocked: :love: :help: