WEM Rush Pep Box

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Yep, the Jermanium PEP box is in the works!! I believe Jerms shared all of his research info with Mr. rush and his will be a quite limited run. It's such a great pedal it definatley deserves to be made again! And for my two cents on the whole cloning thing: it's not like anyone's getting uptight about people making their own MK II circuits even though Sola/DAM is still making the current reissue (that is, unless they are actually using the name "tonebender" in their clone).
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
1bottlerocket

Re: WEM Rush Pep Box

Post by 1bottlerocket »

Hey Ian,
I haven't fired it up yet. We have guests in town and then I am headed off to Korea shortly.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
Graham

Post by Graham »

Well I have a few of these pedals including a very original grey wedge, two of the long red wem pepboxes and a project V - I don't want to stir things up but ALL of them use pair of either BC 107/108/109 transistors - I took them all apart this evening and logged all details for my book - I also have the small red wedge but apart from calling the effect/fuzz control PEP - it has three metal can trannies but any markings have been removed - I assume these are germanium - it has no visible pot codes but a paper label inside that says 13.66 could be serial no but more likely wk13 1966 which would fit in.

Pot code on grey wedge 11-4 and ~~ - 6 (month numeral soldered over but clearly 1966 - BC 107's - Very interesting pedal

Pot codes on the long red fuzzes as follow

LEFT ONE - Screen printed WEM with Rush Pep Box printed above - both pots 226 (wk22 1966 - pair of BC109's - battery hatch
RIGHT ONE -Applied (stuck on) WEM logo version no mention of Rush - but clearly same circuit - also same te as shown the advert I put up on my original thread which advertises the "Stop Press" of a new Bass version at 12.5guineas as opposed to the regular version priced at 12 gns - pots 10-5 & 11-5 pair of BC107's - Battery hatch

ADVERT Image

Project V has pot codes D_9 & J_9 so clearly no earlier than Oct '69 probably built a few months into '70 as pedal build (the catalogue shows it priced at 12 guineas - England embraced the decimal system on 15 Feb '71) so it cannot be later. Has no battery hatch 8 trannies (mainly BC108's but one or two BC186's .

Also have an earlier WEM Project IV guitar.. even mostly works now! This has a very strange transducer affair going on with seperate circuitry for each string BUT also appears to have most of the Project V pedal built in - i.e same named controls amongst the various other options. Never saw so much elecronics in a guitar and I have a few more with onboard effects - take a peek at what lurks under just one side of the scratchplate!!

I will put this and ensure that there are some shots on to the old thread as I get time

I expect the codes will get some folks attention, clearly the pep boxes are early silicon fuzzes. But I did already put everything apart from the trace side of the circuit boards up before and there are plenty of pics in the Data Dump threads

I appreciate that the Project (guitar & pedal) doesn't really belong here but I've been tidying my stuff up here at home and having worked through the lot thought it worth adding on - I am also confused by the use of Germaniums - maybe Jims pedal has them though I have it's history - when that one belonged to my friend James (who didn't have a clue what it was until I pointed it out - it was just a generic grey wedge missing its engraved "Trafalite" plate - perhaps it had Ge trannies installed - I will need to dig out his emails from a few years back.

Also will load & edit some pics of the grey wedge on my photobucket ac and load them in the thread as it is a very early pedal too maybe contemporary to the 2 tranny TB's - without removing the earth wire and cleaning off the solder on the pot (which I am not keen on!!) I cannot tell - also have far too little data to establish any reasonable relationship between pot build / pedal build - (time period - usage range).

G :mrgreen:
Last edited by Graham on Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior »

Hope Jerms doesn't mind me bringing these over from his thread:

11-4 and 1-5 codes.
Everything is transitional.
mjkk

Post by mjkk »

We were lucky to have a Jerms Pep Box at the Midwest Fuzz Summit. It was quite a treat, iwas able to play it for a little bit and I think we did a clip of one of us playing. Great circuit :tu:
"Yes I remember a brave guy named Roger dancing around musicians and cleaning their shoes. Occasionally we gave him our broken pedals for repair to get peace for some hours."
Electric Warrior

Can anybody put a date on this ad?

capricorn_1

Post by capricorn_1 »

here's a short clip of the old girl in action!
Ghost Effects, Birmingham, UK

the Sizzle Hills are Chapel Perilous - Sickle
Electric Warrior

Nice! Interesting fuzz.. Great to finally hear the silicon version!
psycho*daisies

Post by psycho*daisies »

Wicked fuzz, ian!!
serious darkside stuff, there!! :twisted:

It does sound a lot like Jerms' gray one.
(obviously) - As Graham wrote (i think it was he)
you can definitely hear the MkI in there!
(and, i might add - also the Maestro Fuzz Tone)
In fact, it almost sounds like with it's versatility, kind of like
an FZ-1 at one end (bees in a jar) and a fuller more open sound at the other (more FZ-1 like)
At least that is a rough recollection of the Jerms pedal...
This one, i have to watch the video again...and will.
Love it!! Thanks for sharing, ian.
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
capricorn_1

Post by capricorn_1 »

yes i agree it definitely has a FZ-1 tone to it, and has a bit of spluttery decay that you sometimes get on certain attack settings on a mk1.
I think for a Silicon fuzz its got a pretty warm sound as well, and it cleans up nicely with the guitar volume which isn't shown in the vid.
Ghost Effects, Birmingham, UK

the Sizzle Hills are Chapel Perilous - Sickle