Sola Sound Wow Fuzz

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

theemadcap1

Sola Sound Wow Fuzz

Post by theemadcap1 »

Here is Stu's Vero board SolaSound WowFuzz he scored a couple week's back...
Stu wrote:Sola Sound Wow Fuzz.

...and here is my PCB SolaSound WowFuzz. A bit later, and different layouts, but I think same/similar components(??? haven't had a good look, sorry for the camera-phone pics...all I had during 'naptime'... :badteeth: )

Wicked good sounding Fuzz and wah!! :freakout: One changed/bypassed cap on the Fuzz but a few components found in different later MKIIs... :tu:
Laundromat

Re: Sola Sound Wow Fuzz

Post by Laundromat »

On behalf of Stu? :hmm:
Condolences, the bums lost!
Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior »

great to see another one of these... :tu:
Everything is transitional.
theemadcap1

Post by theemadcap1 »

Laundromat wrote:On behalf of Stu? :hmm:
These are the pics Stu posted in the 'I bought it' thread, instead of responding and posting there, I thought i'd start a new thread...?
Don't think there should be a problem...

Anyway, looking at the layout on Stu's, is the Fuzz part of these an MKII missing one of the gain stage's? Sort of an MK1.5 with an input and filter cap? Just a guess...? Also looking at Stu's, mine definitely has a replaced cap and not a bypassed one.
jerms

Post by jerms »

here's my carlsbro fuzz wah with the similar gut's as madcaps and the same as the new sola Wow Fuzz..... this sounds great!.... the fuzz is more like a fuzz face/MKI.5/vox italian tonebender.....
Attachments
DSC00001.JPG
DSC00001.JPG (343.65 KiB) Viewed 4217 times
DSC00003.JPG
DSC00003.JPG (359.24 KiB) Viewed 4217 times
DSC00006.JPG
DSC00006.JPG (337.6 KiB) Viewed 4217 times
DSC00009.JPG
DSC00009.JPG (319.54 KiB) Viewed 4217 times
DSC00010.JPG
DSC00010.JPG (314.8 KiB) Viewed 4217 times
modeerf

Post by modeerf »

awesome
Do Drugs, Worship Satan.
Philip

Post by Philip »

theemadcap1 wrote:
These are the pics Stu posted in the 'I bought it' thread, instead of responding and posting there, I thought i'd start a new thread...?
Winter is kicking in big time in Europe, maybe making some of us more cranky. :badteeth:

Does yours flick between fuzz and wah, like Stu's, no clean bypassed signal? What were they thinking when they came up with that!? :bong2:
theemadcap1

Post by theemadcap1 »

Philip wrote:
theemadcap1 wrote:
Winter is kicking in big time in Europe, maybe making some of us more cranky. :badteeth:

Does yours flick between fuzz and wah, like Stu's, no clean bypassed signal? What were they thinking when they came up with that!? :bong2:
Yea, it's cold here...nearly 55 degrees out...! :badteeth:

Yea, wah always on, only a footswitch for the fuzz off/on. No way to turn just the fuzz on, or to turn the wah off.
You would need a looper pedal to get it to work in a live setting.
Interesting how with these 3 pedals you can see the evolution.
1st one on Vero, in the MKIII pedal case, PCB still in MKIII case and then the Carlsboro in the MKIV case, all with a chrome wah pedal on top. The MKIII version is not tall enough, doesn't allow the pot to fully turn thru the whole sweep. On mine, someone cut a tiny hole in the bottom plate to allow it to turn all the way. Great sounding fuzz! Super thick! You can see on mine, I will need to change out the battery terminal. Got ripped off when I tried to change the dead battery. :zombiehuh:
modeerf

Post by modeerf »

you have some really cool stuff man, i'm curious what else you're gonna come out with. I'm kinda jealous of your supafuzze twins!
Do Drugs, Worship Satan.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Here's the circuit in the Wow Pedal. No bypass on this one either, it's wah or volume.