Tips to get fuzz to play nice with a Hot Cake (buffer)?

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

jetofuj

Post by jetofuj »

It's not true bypass, but has got very good buffer.

It makes sense to me, as I bought one for my friend few weeks ago. It came broken - there was a dead spot on volume pot, where the pedal just cut the signal, even when it was off.
joegagan

Post by joegagan »

ken fischer recommended omeg pots to me back in 02 based on crowther's use of them in the hotcake. does your friend's unit have omeg? they can be a little iffy. i have hundreds of NOS omegs here, hit me up if you need a replacement.
"Scuze me while I rip the sky....."--DucRyder
jetofuj

Post by jetofuj »

Thanks, but I bought new one, so I sent it back to the store for replacement.

Crowther uses Omeg pots indeed - the ones with plastic shaft and long legs (that are soldered directly to circuit board).
joegagan

Post by joegagan »

i really like omeg, they have a stiff feel, and they remind me of my fave old brit fuzzes. on a side note, ken fischer's brother scott used to come to our blues jam weekly in santa fe about 10 years ago. he used a hotcake all the time, sounded buzzy and grating, but i am petty sure it wasn't the pedal's fault.
"Scuze me while I rip the sky....."--DucRyder
jetofuj

Post by jetofuj »

The Captain uses Omegs a lot.

I'm not really after OD pedals, but Hot Cake really does the job for me, especially on bass guitar!
Birds in Hell

Re: Tips to get fuzz to play nice with a Hot Cake (buffer)?

Post by Birds in Hell »

I recently got an older two-knob (plus mids switch) Hotcake and am having this exact same issue and, save for this thread, couldn't find any mention of it anywhere else on the internet. Fuzzes, even my RAT, sound kind of splatty and compressed when placed before the Hotcake when its bypassed; obviously they sound wrecked when placed after, but that's to be expected. I might have to buy a looper to throw it into, as it's such a nice sounding overdrive.
guitaarr123

Post by guitaarr123 »

I found this post on combining overdrive and fuzz pedals if that helps? https://guitaarr.com/guitars/best-overd ... on-pedals/
cajone5

Post by cajone5 »

Birds in Hell wrote:I recently got an older two-knob (plus mids switch) Hotcake and am having this exact same issue and, save for this thread, couldn't find any mention of it anywhere else on the internet. Fuzzes, even my RAT, sound kind of splatty and compressed when placed before the Hotcake when its bypassed; obviously they sound wrecked when placed after, but that's to be expected. I might have to buy a looper to throw it into, as it's such a nice sounding overdrive.
It's odd that you're having this issue as it says the input impedance is high (1M) for the hot cake so it shouldn't be doing anything different than what most other pedals or amps would do...

http://www.crowtheraudio.net/products/hotcake/
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.
Birds in Hell

Post by Birds in Hell »

That post was a few months back, I've shifted a few things around since then - all good right now!