Tips to get fuzz to play nice with a Hot Cake (buffer)?

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

imguitardan

Tips to get fuzz to play nice with a Hot Cake (buffer)?

Post by imguitardan »

Amp situation has changed and I'm digging my Hot Cake over my Honey Bee for OD BUT I feel that the HC buffer (even when off - maybe?) is effing with my fuzz tone (Sonic VI Fuzzrite :crackjam: ). Any tips?

Normally I run a fuzz first (Fuzzrite) -->
Red Rooster -->
OD (HC or HBod) -->
Timmy (for clean boost) -->
TU-2 -->
DMemory Man -->
AMP
New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.

Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Run it in a bypass looper? Seems like the buffer shouldn't mess with the tone much if the hot cake is after the fuzz but I'm not familiar with the hot cakes buffer, I had one briefly but not long enough to judge the bypassed tone...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
jerms

Re: Tips to get fuzz to play nice with a Hot Cake (buffer)?

Post by jerms »

i just took a peek at the schemo, it doesn't look like there's a normal buffer in the hotcake..... it uses the inverting input on the op-amp as the clean bypass.... i don't really understand that! :doh: as i'm no electrical engineer..... your best bet is to do like red said and throw it in a looper pedal.....
imguitardan

Post by imguitardan »

Thanks guys. Any other options? I'd rather keep things simple (plus I don't have a looper).
New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.

SonicVI

Post by SonicVI »

The Hot Cake shouldn't have any effect on the fuzz if it's after the fuzz in the chain. In what way do you feel it's messing with the fuzz?
"If you want to write rock lyrics you must learn about where the Hobbits dwell."
jetofuj

Post by jetofuj »

I haven't even noticed that it has got a buffer, so it must be good :hihi:
imguitardan

Re:

Post by imguitardan »

SonicVI wrote:The Hot Cake shouldn't have any effect on the fuzz if it's after the fuzz in the chain. In what way do you feel it's messing with the fuzz?
I may be imagining it. I feel like the Fuzzrite sounds squishier (but it totally may be mind over matter).

edkoppel

Post by edkoppel »

It may have more to do with the volume you're running the fuzzrite at than the buffer in the hotcake?
Oh, DB? That's just slang for Dandy Big muff collector.
-----------------------
Tone Machines, Vintage Effects Blog: www.tonemachinesblog.com

Instagram: https://instagram.com/ed_skymall
jerms

Re: Tips to get fuzz to play nice with a Hot Cake (buffer)?

Post by jerms »

yeah you could be hitting the chip in the hotcake pretty hard and your getting some compression and sag going on....
joegagan

Post by joegagan »

my dusty memory recalls a thread or two at aron's diy forum where ppl discussed the hotcake. pretty sure it is not true bypass.

it was designed by paul crowther , drummer from the band split enz, guitarist neil finn originally used with ac30s in that band.

ken fischer of trainwreck also helped crowther get more noticed in the US, as he had his mom pick up a hotcake for him while she was on vacation in new zealand in 94. ken wrote a good review in his column in vintage guitar and the rest, as the say, is stompbox history.
"Scuze me while I rip the sky....."--DucRyder