CSL Super Fuzz help needed!

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

Fuzzz

CSL Super Fuzz help needed!

Post by Fuzzz »

Hey guys, I have my hands on a CSL Super Fuzz, which seems to be another Colorsound OEM pedal.

The thing is, the Sustain control works the opposite way I would expect.. It gets more fuzzy if the control is turned CCW and gets cleaner when turned CW.. Anyone know if this is normal? :hmm:

There appears to have been an electrolytic cap replaced (nearest the switch) but other than that, it all seems original. I haven't taken it apart yet to look at the other side of the board, but will prob get a chance to later.

Just wondering if they are made this way or if its a mod/repair gone wrong..? Any help would be appreciated!
CSLFuzz.jpg
CSLFuzz.jpg (100.64 KiB) Viewed 4505 times
CSLFuzz2.jpg
CSLFuzz2.jpg (101.79 KiB) Viewed 4505 times
CSLFuzz3.jpg
CSLFuzz3.jpg (125.5 KiB) Viewed 4505 times
CSLFuzz4.jpg
CSLFuzz4.jpg (105.04 KiB) Viewed 4505 times
CSLFuzz5.jpg
CSLFuzz5.jpg (109.3 KiB) Viewed 4505 times
Logic should not interfere with determination
Nick
The Artist Formerly Known As nightraven

Post by Nick »

wow you bastard! awesome find! the sustain control is wired backwards by design on the 3 knob tone benders, nothing wrong with that one there. super clean pedal as well (so look forward to a PM from a certain collector :hihi: )
fernieite

Re: CSL Super Fuzz help needed!

Post by fernieite »

Wow - nice! As nightraven said, nothing to worry about with the pot direction. Don't forget, the guys who made them drive on the wrong side of the street as well! :hihi:
Great deals with: Stu, Graham, Sickle, Devnulljp, SteveG, peps1, paine, fuzzface6669, jetofuj, sciencefriction, jerms, rafmax, Bigfoot2000, whiskeyfuneral, monolithfuzz.
Fuzzz

Post by Fuzzz »

Cheers guys! :cheers: I knew you guys would know!

Not tried it yet, so hopefully get to blast it later today.. :party:
Ultraboreal

Post by Ultraboreal »

fernieite wrote:Wow - nice! As nightraven said, nothing to worry about with the pot direction. Don't forget, the guys who made them drive on the wrong side of the street as well! :hihi:
:lol:
mjkk

Post by mjkk »

dude crazy clean, very nice. report back on the soundz..
"Yes I remember a brave guy named Roger dancing around musicians and cleaning their shoes. Occasionally we gave him our broken pedals for repair to get peace for some hours."
get_with_it
Sola Sound London

Post by get_with_it »

Anyone know how to find the pic of my CSL Power Boost I posted a year or so ago ? I think these two need to be posted side by side . Will take another pic if we can't locate it . Amazing that these two pedals have gone through 35 years and are as clean as a whistle . Might have been in the I just bought it thread - can;t remember .
Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior »

found it:
Everything is transitional.
Fuzzz

Post by Fuzzz »

That Power Boost is so clean!! :shocked: :headpop:

The Super Fuzz sounds incredible - I love the way the Tone control goes from all out wool to impossibly thin - I am sure it would work great with pretty much any amp.

With the tone almost all the way CW, but dialed back a smidge to let the sparkle come through, I could literally play for days - it just sounds so thick and smoother than I thought it would be.. Lots of octavy coolness further up the board and on the neck pickup but just the sweetest fuzz... :freakout:

Only thing on the cons side, is the lower than unity output, so maybe a booster would be good with it.. I compared it to my FZ75 Jnr and Jnr outgunned the CSL by about a million decibels at about 9 oclock on the Volume! Nearly had a heart attack! :lol:
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

Fuzzz wrote:Only thing on the cons side, is the lower than unity output...
See that green resistor bang centre at the top of the board? Tag a little piece of wire over that and Bam! You has VOLUME :tu: