post your castledines

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

Lew

Re: post your castledines

Post by Lew »

You gonna demo that Olympic? :hihi:
Philip

Post by Philip »

Lew wrote:You gonna demo that Olympic? :hihi:

Not that one. :badteeth:
Captain_Phildo

Post by Captain_Phildo »

I have another Supa MkI question folks. I've emailed Stu and hopefully I'll be put on the waiting list (if there is one for this pedal) but I'm keen to learn more before I buy. I've become recently obsessed with the fuzz tones John McLaughlin produced during the Jack Johnson sessions with Miles Davis. Could anyone tell me if it resembles this sort of tone at all? The fuzz solo is at about 25:25...

I hear a hint of octave maybe and it is a bit gated also, which I know the Supa MkI doesn't really do, but can it cop that sort of primitive ripping fuzz tone? If that makes sense...
Sauniere

Post by Sauniere »

Supa MKI won't really get that tone. Could get close, but the one I had was more refined than Mclaughlin's fuzz tones. Not nearly as gating. Keep reading that it was a Jordan Bosstone on the Miles era stuff. Apparently a Fender Musicmaster, Ampeg combo and a Jordan Bosstone. The Jack Johnson recordings are my favorite McLaughlin tones and some of my all time favorite guitar tones.
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

John McLaughlin used a jordan bosstone on all the miles stuff, he has stated that in interviews before. Which version though is hard to say...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
vanguard

Post by vanguard »

Yeah, I've got a Castledine Supa MKI, and it doesn't do that tone. It's a fucking righteous pedal, but what you're looking for doesn't really sound like any Tonebender incarnation I'm aware of.
https://blackstrapelectrik.com/

Has anyone seen an Englishman called Gavin?
Philip

Post by Philip »

I'd say the Supa MKI could be made to sound like that, but only if John was doing the playing. :badteeth:
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Haha yeah man. It's funny how a guitarist can manipulate the tools he uses. Robin trower is a guy who loves to play old plexi amps! I've heard him play the JCM900 backline and it sounded... just like Robin. If I closed my eyes... I wouod have just presumed it was a 59 super lead.
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

^ Robert Fripp agrees with you. He loves the Buzzaround, but…
But if somebody wanted to obtain the same sound you got, wouldn't it be important to know what type of fuzz you were using?

No. I can get that same sound with every kind of fuzz box I've ever used. It's not a question of equipment.
Captain_Phildo

Post by Captain_Phildo »

Thanks for the help guys. I know it wouldn't exactly cop that sound (far too gated, for example) but I was wondering if can produce that rather striking and raw fuzz tone. To be honest, there are very limited clips of the rare Supa MkI circuit, apart from Philip's stuff (which sounds incredible). There aren't a whole lot of examples to go by.

As well as that, it seems to be very sensitive to the guitar/amp used. I've heard one or two other clips where it sounded very trebly indeed and couldn't understand if that is just the nature of the circuit. Probably just need to buy one and hear it for myself!