VINTAGE VOX & CRYBABY INFO & APPRECIATION

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

HorseyBoy

Re: VINTAGE VOX & CRYBABY INFO & APPRECIATION

Post by HorseyBoy »

^ Sounds like a good plan. It's interesting to me that people in general seem way more hesitant to mess with wahs than they do with amps, for instance. I like the idea of making them sound as good as they possibly can. :tu:
jerms

Post by jerms »

yeah with wahs they won't sound good at all it that cap is bad..... there are a few other pedal that you basically have to swap out all the electrolytics, like super fuzzes.... they just won't sound good without work.... with amps you really need to do that stuff or you'll have major problems..... blowing caps and tubes, frying tube sockets.... major damage!
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

My trash can Vox ( The ragamuffin ) was in bad shape when it got to me. Seller said he had been using it regularly. Not only did the it show up with the battery snap broken but a cap was dead and there was a dry solder joint.

Stu put it all right for sure. I even asked for a true bypass switch put in.

It sounds really good. It's not the most complex sounding but the trash can had drifted slightly and the transistors were quite high gain.

I think from what I've seen re-sale people don't mind the pot being replaced but value seems to drop when the wiring has been replaced & the circuit board starts being messed with.

Either way you want a Wah working don't you. But just be prepared to take a bit of a hit as I've noticed people will pay top price for original and tend to step back when they pick up on one or more mods/ replaced non original parts.

Great score though Jim! That transistional Clyde looks awesome! Does the inductor still measure close to 500?
jerms

Post by jerms »

you mean two transitional clydes!! :marx: pretty cool that they're 5 numbers apart 4694 and 4696..... unfortunately i don't have an inductance meter..... :scared:
Attachments
IMG_0018.jpg
IMG_0018.jpg (190.05 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
thebends9

Post by thebends9 »

Still shaking my head over that. I should have accepted his $400 counter offer :gripe:
The Captain wrote: If you find a 'fake' transistor in a D*A*M pedal I will literally eat my own dick. Confident I am.
jreeves47

Post by jreeves47 »

lol same! oh well i already got 4 wahs
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

jerms wrote:you mean two transitional clydes!! :marx: pretty cool that they're 5 numbers apart 4694 and 4696..... unfortunately i don't have an inductance meter..... :scared:
Haha ace. Tasty guts! :drool2:
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

I'm a little annoyed at myself as I'm not spending atm but...

Serial in early 400's, picture Clyde!
I'll post pics when she lands!
Stu

Post by Stu »

jerms wrote:you mean two transitional clydes!! :marx: pretty cool that they're 5 numbers apart 4694 and 4696..... unfortunately i don't have an inductance meter..... :scared:
14694 and 14696. :wink2: Pretty cool, nonetheless. My first one was 148xx, same circuit and same larger enclosure.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Doc Holliday wrote:I'm a little annoyed at myself as I'm not spending atm but...

Serial in early 400's, picture Clyde!
I'll post pics when she lands!
Bargain. Someone didn't trust grounding the output jack via the enclosure.