Favourite Muffs

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

Lach

Re: Favourite Muffs

Post by Lach »

Rygar wrote:yeah the volume full up switch is smart for getting leads jumping. The Fuzz Munchkin is one of the only Tym Muffs I've tried other than the op amp.

The original Dope Priest(76 I believe) is very, very close to the Fuzz Munchkin. Castledine Inca Drop too.
Yeah that switch is a great addition! Although one of my other favourite Tym pedals is his Tone Boost which I almost always have placed after a muff, very useful!

I found the Dope Priest totally different to the Munchkin, much brighter, heaps of mids.. although it was a much more recent Priest. The Munchkin is so scooped! I've gotta get me a Castledine V2 sometime this year..
rootfifthoctave

Post by rootfifthoctave »

Rygar wrote:yeah the volume full up switch is smart for getting leads jumping. The Fuzz Munchkin is one of the only Tym Muffs I've tried other than the op amp.

The original Dope Priest(76 I believe) is very, very close to the Fuzz Munchkin. Castledine Inca Drop too.
I've found I much prefer the sound of russian-voiced muffs. Just the gritty, grindy, snarl suits me more than super-scooped sustainy violin sound. Never tried an ICBM. Also, I am anti-mids knobs!
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

I really like the Munchkin. That bypass switch is killer for getting it to come through. Saying that, Stu's V2 has to be the best version of the violet circuit I have ever played. It runs the edge of sonic mayhem. I find I really need to stay on top of it so that it doesn't run away and get nuts.

I have a first run Dope Priest (actually three!!!) and they also are excellent in a band setting. I bought one and it was so good I had to get another to see if it was a fluke. It wasn't so being the whore I am I bought yet another.

The EFE particle series are also classics. Everyone I played is fucking awesome. I am surprised that these don't get more airplay here.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
SilverTightrope

Post by SilverTightrope »

Lach wrote:
Turkish wrote: So much Mudd! Which is your favorite? I've been waffling between the Violet and the Double. Haven't played them in a band setting yet though.
Favourite has gotta be the bc108 Violet for me! The standards sound great at home, too scooped for the band though I reckon..
The Double D and BC108 Violet are very similar, but those BC108's add something special to the circuit...a very cool kind of fuzzy halo around the notes. I'd never let go of either, but if I could only have one it would be the Violet BC108.
~Actually I think Art lies in both directions - the broad strokes, big picture but on the other hand the minute examination of the apparently mundane. Seeing the whole world in a grain of sand, that kind of thing~ Peter Hammill
Lach

Post by Lach »

SilverTightrope wrote:The Double D and BC108 Violet are very similar, but those BC108's add something special to the circuit...a very cool kind of fuzzy halo around the notes. I'd never let go of either, but if I could only have one it would be the Violet BC108.
In total agreeance with you there! The Double D was very similar to my ear too, much closer to each other than the DS, it's a lot darker, very nice though. I love that extra fuzziness you speak of with the Violet bc108! It's so nice, yet it still retains that clarity that all Tim's Mudds seem to have. It's stayed my favourite since I got it so I don't imagine I'll ever be able to part with that one either
Lach

Post by Lach »

NoctisAvis wrote:Image

My reverse v6 circa 1981. Sounds as good as it looks, the one proper Muff I've kept...combining my favorite Muff characteristics of various v2, v3 and v7s I've formerly owned, in one box.
And thanks to your post (and description!), a bit of uncanny timing and another muff conversation with Steve (Freddy Von), I landed one..
20170214_225135.jpg
20170214_225135.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 3056 times
Also circa '81 (apparently there was another run in '84, according to Kit). Hockey puck knobs, a bit beat up, woolier and a bit grittier than my earlier muffs, it gets trebly pretty early in the tone knob's range, I like it rolled back to around 11 o'clock, sounds killer!
SilverTightrope

Post by SilverTightrope »

Lach wrote:
SilverTightrope wrote:The Double D and BC108 Violet are very similar, but those BC108's add something special to the circuit...a very cool kind of fuzzy halo around the notes. I'd never let go of either, but if I could only have one it would be the Violet BC108.
In total agreeance with you there! The Double D was very similar to my ear too, much closer to each other than the DS, it's a lot darker, very nice though. I love that extra fuzziness you speak of with the Violet bc108! It's so nice, yet it still retains that clarity that all Tim's Mudds seem to have. It's stayed my favourite since I got it so I don't imagine I'll ever be able to part with that one either
Would love to try a DS sometime...I have a TMKF on the way which is supposed to be a bit darker and more mids, an original TYM circuit I believe. But yes, unparalleled clarity is certainly a hallmark of these muffs :)
~Actually I think Art lies in both directions - the broad strokes, big picture but on the other hand the minute examination of the apparently mundane. Seeing the whole world in a grain of sand, that kind of thing~ Peter Hammill
NoctisAvis

Post by NoctisAvis »

Lach wrote:And thanks to your post (and description!), a bit of uncanny timing and another muff conversation with Steve (Freddy Von), I landed one..

[attachment]

Also circa '81 (apparently there was another run in '84, according to Kit). Hockey puck knobs, a bit beat up, woolier and a bit grittier than my earlier muffs, it gets trebly pretty early in the tone knob's range, I like it rolled back to around 11 o'clock, sounds killer!
Some pedals just look better with a few battle scars, afaic it's one of them. Great score!
Check out the guts, it sounds like yours may have a pair of large ceramic caps like the one on kit rae's site:

Mine also looks like [this] inside, but I've seen them with small ceramics, electrolytic, and a mix.
FME those big ceramics tend to be found in the extra woolly/gritty sounding muffs (and Fuzzrites but I digress).
The tone knob def gets bright earlier in its range than other muffs, and garage trebly at its extreme.
Bypassing the tone stack makes it LOUD but still retains the muff character while opening up. Enjoy it :cheers:
Lach

Post by Lach »

NoctisAvis wrote:Some pedals just look better with a few battle scars, afaic it's one of them. Great score!
Check out the guts, it sounds like yours may have a pair of large ceramic caps like the one on kit rae's site:

Mine also looks like [this] inside, but I've seen them with small ceramics, electrolytic, and a mix.
FME those big ceramics tend to be found in the extra woolly/gritty sounding muffs (and Fuzzrites but I digress).
The tone knob def gets bright earlier in its range than other muffs, and garage trebly at its extreme.
Bypassing the tone stack makes it LOUD but still retains the muff character while opening up. Enjoy it :cheers:
Thanks man! It does indeed sound as you've described.. thanks for the info on the caps.. that's interesting, I haven't had a close enough look but I'll have to now
vanguard

Post by vanguard »

https://blackstrapelectrik.com/

Has anyone seen an Englishman called Gavin?